Author Topic: What is possible to do with FFOS?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline xinouch

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
What is possible to do with FFOS?
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:31 AM »
Hello!

I recently read this on the forum:
FFOS has Android as base, and by default uses 4.2.2.

I haven't studied that yet, as I'm waiting to have a FFOS phone to test the compilation etc... but I plan to compile FFOS git on my Revolution (if I receive it one day).
Is it possible to use android 4.4 as a base for FFOS? do we have to specify it at compile time? or other moment?

a different question I'm interested in: is it possible (from an app or by whatever mean) to access to the android (linux) part from FFOS? (I mean: use bash commands such as ssh, ls, vim...)
for instance, this app opens a terminal with linux usable commands in android. As FFOS is based on android, is it possible to have the same result?
the only way I actually see is by rewriting all the commands in javascript and execute them in a javascript terminal app...

Thank you for you help :)

Offline luis.cuervo

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 64
    • View Profile
Re:What is possible to do with FFOS?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:45:34 AM »
Hello!

I recently read this on the forum:
FFOS has Android as base, and by default uses 4.2.2.

I haven't studied that yet, as I'm waiting to have a FFOS phone to test the compilation etc... but I plan to compile FFOS git on my Revolution (if I receive it one day).
Is it possible to use android 4.4 as a base for FFOS? do we have to specify it at compile time? or other moment?

Some new devices are using 4.4. as base because they dont have 4.2 (as Nexus4) but they are nor production devices from Mozilla's point of view and has a beta state.

a different question I'm interested in: is it possible (from an app or by whatever mean) to access to the android (linux) part from FFOS? (I mean: use bash commands such as ssh, ls, vim...)
for instance, this app opens a terminal with linux usable commands in android. As FFOS is based on android, is it possible to have the same result?
the only way I actually see is by rewriting all the commands in javascript and execute them in a javascript terminal app...

Thank you for you help :)

You can use adb from a computer. Inside FFOS there is no terminal.

Offline xinouch

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Some new devices are using 4.4. as base because they dont have 4.2 (as Nexus4) but they are nor production devices from Mozilla's point of view and has a beta state.
As I'm planning to compile FFOS myself from the git repo, I'm planning to have a beta state phone ^^ I'm just wondering how to do this choice (android 4.2 or 4.4)...

You can use adb from a computer. Inside FFOS there is no terminal.

Actually, there are some javascript terminal that execute the javascript code written in it. I want to know if it would be possible to create a real terminal in FFOS, which will access to the android layer (linux commands, and not only javascript), or if FFOS completely closes the system sublayers...
I don't really care how difficult it could be to create such a terminal, I just wonder if it would be possible or not... with a basic webapp, I don't think so because I didn't see any API that gives access to the system...

Offline nbourdais

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:27:52 AM »
As I'm planning to compile FFOS myself from the git repo, I'm planning to have a beta state phone ^^ I'm just wondering how to do this choice (android 4.2 or 4.4)...
If I understand build guidelines, you don't really choose android version, rather a phone target (for ex : nexus 5 which is android 4.4 is in target list).
As FFOS embeds android kernel in Gonk, I don't see any link between FFOS and Android from multiboot.
Regarding Revolution phone, it is not listed in target phones... I don't know how geeksphone proceed with upstream mozilla git repository.
Perhaps Luis or Rodrigo could enlighten us about building process specific to Revolution?

I don't really care how difficult it could be to create such a terminal, I just wonder if it would be possible or not... with a basic webapp, I don't think so because I didn't see any API that gives access to the system...
Exactly you are limited to WebAPI and can't access system.

Offline xinouch

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:58 AM »
Thank you for the clarification. I don't have any FFOS devices yet, so I haven't looked deeply in the compilation process ;)

Exactly you are limited to WebAPI and can't access system.
that makes me sad... wouldn't it be possible to insert a terminal application with very high privileges? maybe not as a standard webapp, but as part of FFOS (adding it somwhere in FFOS code)?
I really don't know anything about FFOS as I don't have my phone yet (I only tried quickly the emulator), so maybe I'm saying big nonsense...

Offline coyan

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
    • CoyáN.es
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:03 AM »
In fact not all webAPI are accessible by the developer: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps/Developing/App_permissions

But I don't know how to make a Certified App that would be a similar way to give a "root permission" in Android.

Offline erouxeg

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What is possible to do with FFOS?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 12:52:44 AM »
Thanks for the share of these informations.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:54:43 AM by erouxeg »