Author Topic: v2.0 image still contains v2.1  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
v2.0 image still contains v2.1
« on: December 13, 2014, 05:13:40 AM »
The v2.0 image dated 13.12.2014 still contains Firefox OS 2.1. But there has been progress:
  • there are no Keon images in the archives v2.0 and v2.1 anymore
  • 2.0 and v2.1 conatin different versions of adb
  • the v2.0 archive (Firefox OS still says it is 2.1) runs quite stable

I've been running it for half an hour, so my bug spotting is limited at this time. But I'd suggest you give this build a try.

Michael

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • View Profile
Re: v2.0 image still contains v2.1
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:30:20 AM »
All the issues you describe are probably the reason why there is no more OTA update for v2.0 since December 8.

Offline bdcomp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:24:38 AM »
All the issues you describe are probably the reason why there is no more OTA update for v2.0 since December 8.

All the issues and all the bugs that present only on GP phones, are because GP think that they can sell phones and provide no support at all...

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:02:20 AM »

v2.0 was quite stable until Geeksphone messed up the builds (again). v2.1 has been a rough ride from the start with many crashes and high power consumption. My unwanted switch to v2.1 because of a messed up build labled v2.0 left me with a not working phone for a few days. But I don't cry, I simply report how the builds were messed up for Geeksphone to read and fix. And yes, even if no one feels the need to comment: the guys are still reading!

And because you're still reading: Months ago a new stable build was promised but I haven't seen it yet. Please wrap a nice christmas present for bdcomp and us others!

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
Yesterday, I contacted Geeksphone by email about these 2 issues (no OTA updates and v2.1 inside the v2.0 zip).
They answered this morning :
Dear Mossroy,
I’ve forwarded your requests to our development department so they can take care of it.
I’ll get back at you as soon as they answer me on this matter.
Feel free to contact us for anything you might need.

Best regards
Geeksphone User Care Team

This evening I checked for an OTA update on my Peak : there is one! Maybe they heard us...

Based on the posts here, I would like to check that this version (2014-12-18) is really a 2.0 before harming my device....
The gaia commit id d04710d (in the filename) corresponds to one in the v2.0 branch, but I did not find the Gecko one (87c0349), so I'm not 100% sure yet.

Does someone have an easy way to check this version?

PS : in the email, I also mentioned the lack of a new stable version. I would really not bet on it, but one never knows, it's soon Christmas ;-)

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
Regarding the images dated 22.12.2014: v2.0 and v2.1 are different in size, so it looks like the builds are different again. v2.0 ist missing userdata.img, so don't select the option to flash the userdata, too.

Offline Vincent14

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Influence PC
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:48:11 PM »
Do you think FFOS 2.0 is stable enougth to be used in my regular (and only) phone?

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »
Before the images were messed up 2.0 was quite usable and on par with 1.3 or 1.4. But I have to check the newer images. When you switch, make sure to set the update check to monthly. As with all builds: It can get messy when the occasional stinker lands on your phone.

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 05:02:39 AM »
The images of v2.0 and v2.1 dated 09.01.2015 both state to be v2.1 after I installed them. The binaries are different, though. I'm using the v2.0 image right now and it works quite good. "Cut the rope" crashed once but the system itself remained stable.

GPS still does not work as expected: Sometimes I get a location, most of the times I don't. And when I get a location it's about 20 km to the north from where I am. Well... Maybe you can say: I works as expected (but not as it should).

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
Thanks Doelf for this feedback.
In the 2.0 image you installed, does the update url point to 2.0 or 2.1?

To check if the image is really a 2.0, maybe you can check that the 2.1 features from https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Roadmap#2.1_Features are not available on your phone? For example https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=977050

Regarding the GPS, I don't have that much issues on my 2.0 version (build id 20141205072956). The GPS can be slow to find my location (1 or 2 minutes at most) but, when it's found, it's very accurate.
Which application (or website) are you using for the GPS? Depending on the way it is programmed, it can have a timeout on geolocation, and/or allow an unprecise geolocation (which can be given by other means than the GPS)

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 01:51:10 AM »
I installed the FOTA update today. It worked correctly.
My device reports it's a 2.0.0.0-prerelease version, build id 20150114083048. The Git commit 31d6c942 seems correct too (latest commit on Gaia 2.0 branch).

I still have the continuous network access bug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1104175), and probably other bugs.
But it fixed the orientation change bug (I previously could not switch to landscape mode on videos).

It seems to me that the FOTA process has been fixed?

Offline Djan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 02:37:54 AM »
@mossroy : are these bugs still present in 2.0?
  • Wifi doesn't work after use of data connection (you have to reboot)
  • Data connection share via wifi and cable does not work
  • Graphic rendering problems

Thanks

Offline a-dead-trousers

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 04:27:01 AM »
1 and 2 are still there but you won't have to reboot anymore. It just takes VERY long for the WIFI to start up after data connection. Rebooting is faster though ::)
3, I believe, can't be fixed because it's due to the moderate (old) hardware of the peak. The new versions of FXOS are designed for a slightly better reference design (a.k.a. FLAME)

wkr ADT

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:28 AM »
@mossroy : are these bugs still present in 2.0?

Thanks

1 : I sometimes have difficulties to use the data connection when it was previously disabled (a reboot fixes the issue). But I did not notice any problem when connecting with Wifi. Maybe it's another symptom of the same issue?
2 : I do not use this feature frequently. But I tested today through Wifi and it worked fine : I could use the data connection of my Peak from another mobile phone. I did not test through a cable
3 : I did not notice any "rendering problems" (what do you mean?), but scrolling can sometimes be a bit jerky (for example in a long web page) : it scrolls fast enough, but you can feel very short pauses during the scrolling. It's not 100% smooth like on my ZTE Open C. A bit annoying but not blocking

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
I now face the first problem of your list (impossible to activate WiFi after using the data connection).
Yes : really annoying to have to reboot...