Author Topic: When will GP fix the graphical and wifi bugs in 2.x ?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Djan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
When will GP fix the graphical and wifi bugs in 2.x ?
« on: January 14, 2015, 12:31:55 AM »
Sinds the month of augustus (or even before) it is known that the 2.0 an 2.1 branches have major bugs:
  • Graphical problems : animations are sometimes slow, some icons/button may not appear, black/white zones can appear on the whole screen, PDF reader crashes. It seems to be linked to a bad support of the GPU of the Peak. Since Mozilla seems not to support that chip it is to GP to give the patch.
  • Wifi: wifi does not work after use of the data connection, nor works the sharing of data connection via wifi or cable... It seems to be linked as well.
Other annoying bugs related or not to the Peak are also present: you can't take video anymore in 2.1, the micro does not work well for videos and sound recorders.

As usual, GP does not seem to do anything and does not communicate at all.

What are you doing guys?  >:(

Offline a-dead-trousers

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • View Profile
Re: When will GP fix the graphical and wifi bugs in 2.x ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 04:41:39 AM »
See my comment on your other post http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6359.msg66157#msg66157

Let's not forget the PEAK is a DEVELOPER PHONE therefore support is very limited. At least they provide the daily images, which I'm very thankfull of.
If you are unsatisfied with the quality of the updates, feel free to get the FXOS SDK yourself and start compiling your own images with better drivers and so on. Maybe you will learn something out of this. Maybe even find some bugs in FXOS (and I guarantee you will). Next you will start posting bug reports on bugzilla or fix the bugs yourself. PENG you are now a softwaredeveloper and you will understand why it is so hard to find and fix bugs and why it is so expensive to support older hardware over a longer timeperiod. Thats pretty much the same problem why you mostly won't get any updates for Samsung (android) devices after the first year of release.

wkr ADT
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:43:15 AM by a-dead-trousers »

Offline Vincent14

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
    • Influence PC
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
It would have been wise to specify what kind of developer that phone was expected. It seems that very many (if not all) customers imagined to develop new applications on a very up to date phone, more than a product marketed to the general public. We have never had a stable and recent API.

I note that the misunderstanding is maintained, we do not want to develop Firefox OS, it is the job of Mozilla. And even if it is a phone to develop the OS itself, I find it outrageous that Geeksphone do not make the effort to maintain stable images to date. How you imagine working on a system which is polluted by bugs, that can not connect to WiFi or has severe problems with SD cards, screen, etc? Are you kidding me?

Maintain this phone is the Geeksphone job, not ours. Write "for developer" on the back of the phone is an excuse that cost them nothing, congratulations, it was clever. Now we discuss whether or not Geeksphone follows its promises, or behaves like other manufacturers who also unload the work required of them to the community.

The Peak I purchased was delivered in version 1.0. Since only one update was proposed: the 1.1hd. Neither the 1.2 or 1.3 nor 1.4 are currently available, despite the messages that flow here, we do not have any explanation, no provisional date for the next update. If Geeksphone is working on the subject, it can give us his deadline. I conclude that the development is abandoned for months.

It is not enough to be the first to sell Firefox OS phones on the market, perhaps retain customers could be a good plan. After seeing the profusion of new projects that have buried my Peak less than two years after my purchase, I will turn away from the brand and the OS and go my way.

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline a-dead-trousers

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
Have you ever tried to use the DEVELOPER version of Firefox?
It's based on alpha to give DEVELOPERS a chance to TEST their software on the UPCOMMING release.
If you want to stablize your apps for the CURRENT release of FFOS you should use the CURRENT Version which is 1.3 by the way. (Sadly 1.4 seems to be abandoned by the hardware vendors)
But I agree that the ever changing API problem is currently the biggest issue for ongoing APP-Development for FFOS. Nevertheless I'm convinced that Mozilla will fix this in the near future. Lets not forget their goal was (and is) to standardize Web-APIs. And everyone who ever tried to programm will know that the first version(s) will never be good.

wkr ADT
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:24:01 PM by a-dead-trousers »