Poll

Is there still interest in supporting the GP Revolution?

YES, count on me! I'll try to support you in developing / porting / answering questions ...
18 (10.5%)
YES, count on me! I'll support you in bug reporting / alpha testing (Good for those who don't use the Revolution as a "productive" phone)
39 (22.8%)
I'm interested in future versions of FIREFOX OS
63 (36.8%)
I'm interested in future versions of CYANOGEN MOD
21 (12.3%)
I'm interested in future versions of ANDROID
3 (1.8%)
I'm interested in SAILFISH OS
9 (5.3%)
I'm interested in UBUNTU TOUCH
10 (5.8%)
I'm interested in TIZEN OS
2 (1.2%)
NO, I'm fed up with that phone and a further development by the community is no profit for me...
6 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: [Poll] Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?  (Read 21706 times)

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
[Poll] Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:23:28 AM »
Hello everybody!

This poll shall give everybody the opportunity to see if there is still interest in the GP Revolution as a "craft-device"  ;)

This is important IF we want to go on! Additionally, we can see in which OS the people are mostly interested in.

ANNOUNCEMENT: First IRC conference about GP Revolution's future is on Sunday, 16th 3 p.m. ! (German timezone GMT + 1:00) - Contact me for logon credentials and further information! The community needs more helping hands! 8)

I want to explain you how the poll shall work:

EVERYBODY has TWO VOTES

The FIRST one is for the choice between option 1, 2 and 9 (YES (developer), YES (bug reporter / tester) & NO)

The SECOND vote is for those who voted with YES!!! There they have the opportunity to tell the community in which OS development they are interested MOST (3,4,5,6,7,8)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that those, that use their phone productive and can't support us as alpha tester (=they need a stable OS on their phone) are also invited to tell us in which OS they are interested. But please be so kind / honest to vote just for ONE OS as all the others also only have one choice for OS. Thanks for being fair and honest  :)

For those who have chosen 'NO', you clearly said that you are no more interested in GP Revolution. Please don't choose one of the other options. This does not make sense for this poll and falsifies the result  8)

For those who have chosen 'YES': thank you for your support  :)
Maybe you want to let the others know about your abilities in this project ;)
(especially the developers and porters should show up and say "hello" - otherwise we don't know who's developing - maybe a list of the voluntary developers in the first thread of this poll would be helpful for those who have questions)

For example:

"Hi, I'm Bada3.0! I'm interested in developing new versions of FIREFOX OS, that's why I've chosen 1 and 3!
I'm the father of FIREFOXER project, which in fact, is frozen at the moment (due to lack of time, summertime ;) )

I haven't ported FIREFOX OS 2.0 to Revolution yet, but as an "exercise" I surely want to do that.

I'm good in organizing and in documentations  :)

I hope that I can reach a lot of motivated developers & testers so that GP Revolution will have it's "comeback"   :) "

And now it's up to you, please vote  ;)

OF COURSE, all the guys from the other forums (spain & french) are also allowed to vote  ;D
"the more we are, the more we reach"

Greetings,

Bada3.0  8)

P.S. @ Rodrigo: Could you please pin that thread to the other 5 on top of the Revolution Forum - I think that it makes sense and is then easier for everybody to access  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:40:25 PM by Bada3.0 »
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline horst

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 06:11:19 AM »
Hi Bada.

Great initiative  ;)

Unfortunately i'm not a developer, but a good tester  :) It would be nice to see a continuation of FXOS development. FXOS was the main reason why I bought the Revolution.

So we should try to make the best out of the situation. I think there is some potential.

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:44 AM »
It would be nice to see a continuation of FXOS development. FXOS was the main reason why I bought the Revolution.

Same with me buddy  ;)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
Hi everybody !

I am not a developer.
FirefoxOS was the main reason why I bought the Revolution. (© horst ;D)
I use my phone for my work so it cannot be available for alpha/beta testing but if I can help in other ways, I will.

I hope we will be able to figure out some way to have newer version of Firefox OS.

Some help from Geeksphone team will be highly appreciated.

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:54 AM »

Some help from Geeksphone team will be highly appreciated.

It would be nice to know if there is still a Firefox OS developer, but as they discontinued the development of Firefox OS (Keon / Peak / Revolution), I don't think that we will get help from them  :-[
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Offline Hellzevir

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:07:30 PM »
Hello all,

and thanks to Bada3.0 for this initiative.

I have recently bought the GP Revolution... a few days before to learn that the support was discontinued.

I am however satisfied with this device but of course I am interested in newer versions of FirefoxOS.

I am not a developer but am very keen on testing and reporting.

All the best !

Offline Tokarev7

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:45:55 AM »
I dunno. Firefox OS will be a dead end with v2.4 while Mozilla rethinks its OS.

Cyanogenmod seems like the best option.

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:30:07 PM »

Next Firefox OS version after 2.2 will be 3.0.

Why do you think that Firefox OS will be a dead end. They just rethink their strategy. They thought that there would be more interest in their 30 $ devices but those devices are not competitive enough against the cheap android, windows phone and tizen devices.
For THAT reason they want to expand from the low level cheap sector. because there is more demand for devices with multicore processors, good cameras, LTE and RAM.

That has nothing to do with discontinuing the OS - they just changed their point of view for winning more potential buyers for their phones ;)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Offline llb4ll

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 02:06:30 PM »
I like FFOS very much - both as os for my  productive phone as well as from the developer's point of view. Although I don't have very much experience in developing for FFOS I am happy and eager to help keeping FFOS alive and up to date for Revolution.

Offline plop

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:39:26 AM »
Revolution is my only phone, so i can't be alpha tester, but if i can help, i'll do.

Offline Desiderius

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 07:47:59 AM »
Hello everybody

Have you seen the press release of Geeksphone ( in the "General Discussion" of this forum ) ?

They won't sell smartphone any more !  They have created a new brand to sell "wearable" that is IOT ( Internet Objects ) .

So the future of the Revolution is clearly uniquely in our hands !

Offline vedsa

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
Sad day for GP community

Like many people , i buy GP revolution for test FFOS but anyway i'm NOT dissapoint this is a good phone in Android too, hope they gonna be are ROM Custom of FFOS (like for Android) , because i think it's a good way for freedom OS

But hope your IOT device will have big success
(sorry for bad english again)
good luck

Offline spring

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:41 AM »
Hello Bada,
I am just an ordinary user, located in Germany. My interest in the Geeksphone is mainly driven by the wish not supporting the "Big3" (Apple, Google, MS).
I am also no Power User and have no software-experience.
But I am surely not afread to test.
So If you ceep me informed, maybe I can be helpful.

Offline Tokarev7

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 04:13:33 AM »

Next Firefox OS version after 2.2 will be 3.0.

Why do you think that Firefox OS will be a dead end. They just rethink their strategy. They thought that there would be more interest in their 30 $ devices but those devices are not competitive enough against the cheap android, windows phone and tizen devices.
For THAT reason they want to expand from the low level cheap sector. because there is more demand for devices with multicore processors, good cameras, LTE and RAM.

That has nothing to do with discontinuing the OS - they just changed their point of view for winning more potential buyers for their phones ;)
Yes, I know, that's why I think it might be different enough to make porting from 2.2>3.0 difficult.
Whereas Android will more or less stay the same.

Unfortunately this experience has made me go from trying out the small guys, FFOS and Ubuntu Mobile, back to the big guys, iOS and Android.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:16:31 AM by Tokarev7 »

Offline n17r4m

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Mygen
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 02:40:47 AM »
Hey, just chiming in. In general the revolution seems to be a pretty hackable phone, with the exception of the PowerVR gfx chipset which requires a binary blob driver. Not sure what the radio is, but that might be fairly proprietary as well. Bluetooth, wifi, and the rest seem vanilla.

I voted: I'll help develop + Ubuntu Touch, and I mean it. :) Using FFOS 2.0 right now, and am getting kicked in the balls with silly things like lack of deviceorientation and touch event support in its browser. Getting FFOS3, Ubuntu, et al, would be real nice.

Presently working on (and working around) apps that are meant to be super cross platform (Android, Ios, FFOS, Ubuntu, SmartTV, Blackberry, Windoze, Tizen, etc...).... Having a single phone that can 'swap around' means a world to me, and I'd be willing to work to see that happen.

Maybe we should set up a community github or a c9.io with the various (as many as feasible) platform codebases + releases to develop towards their best state on this device? if enough (3) people express interest, I'd be happy to host whatever server stuff is required. (tiki.org, git, build-server, irc, whatever)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:46:10 AM by n17r4m »