Poll

Is there still interest in supporting the GP Revolution?

YES, count on me! I'll try to support you in developing / porting / answering questions ...
18 (10.5%)
YES, count on me! I'll support you in bug reporting / alpha testing (Good for those who don't use the Revolution as a "productive" phone)
39 (22.8%)
I'm interested in future versions of FIREFOX OS
63 (36.8%)
I'm interested in future versions of CYANOGEN MOD
21 (12.3%)
I'm interested in future versions of ANDROID
3 (1.8%)
I'm interested in SAILFISH OS
9 (5.3%)
I'm interested in UBUNTU TOUCH
10 (5.8%)
I'm interested in TIZEN OS
2 (1.2%)
NO, I'm fed up with that phone and a further development by the community is no profit for me...
6 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: [Poll] Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?  (Read 21915 times)

Offline horst

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 03:52:38 AM »
Afaik, there was a developer who asked Intel to implement changes to the boot.img and Intel did this for him. Can't remember properly but I think it was for a Sony phone or Asus Zenfone with Intel chipset.

So if we know, what must get changed in boot.img to port a different OS, we could ask Intel if they would do it for us. We still would have a signed boot.img but at least the developpment wouldn't stop.

It doesn't hurt to ask!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:54:26 AM by horst »

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 01:55:24 AM »
I don't think a petition would work because as you said our community is maybe too small.

So I have tweeted to IntelSupport

It's based on what I have understand of the issue raised by ColdNew, adding this command to the kernel to be able to install unsigned boot.img.

But I don't really know how to ask this kind of request to Intel...
And I don't know any Intel representatives or Mozillia representative to hold our request...

If you have any suggestion or contact...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:57:34 AM by gon_le_terrible »

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »
Well done  :)

Karma up +  :D
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline horst

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 03:37:28 AM »
I don't think a petition would work because as you said our community is maybe too small.

So I have tweeted to IntelSupport

It's based on what I have understand of the issue raised by ColdNew, adding this command to the kernel to be able to install unsigned boot.img.

But I don't really know how to ask this kind of request to Intel...
And I don't know any Intel representatives or Mozillia representative to hold our request...

If you have any suggestion or contact...

Nice  :D Let's see what happens.

Perhaps @Rodrigo can make a contact for us?!

Offline arojas

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 03:23:31 AM »
Hello all,

and thanks to Bada3.0 for this initiative.

I have recently bought the GP Revolution... a few days before to learn that the support was discontinued.

I am however satisfied with this device but of course I am interested in newer versions of FirefoxOS.

I am not a developer but am very keen on testing and reporting.

All the best !

I'm in the same situation like Hellzevir.   
Please keep us updated with the progress !!

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 05:46:42 AM »
Well done  :)

Karma up +  :D

Thanks, even if I do not really understand what Karma is  ;D

And sadly no news from Intel Support...

Offline soupytwist

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
Any interest in meeting on IRC sometime soon as Bada suggested, so that we can sync up and see what the next steps are? I'm eager to contribute to this, but I don't really have any clue where to start! It would be great to get together and see what we can all do to help.

Offline nimiux

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 09:10:58 AM »
Hi all,

Nice initiative. I'll stay tuned in case I can help.

Thanks.

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 06:35:45 AM »
Sorry guys,

I was the last week not able to watch this forum, because I was on Wacken and came back on Sunday  ;)

@ soupytwist: An IRC channel is a good idea, but I don't know any side where we are able to meet in a channel  :( Otherwise we won't be able to organise ourselves... Especially the developers.

@horst: Did you get any feedback from Intel support?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:20:03 AM by Bada3.0 »
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 01:15:50 AM »
On my side, no news and no reply to my tweet...

Offline daoro

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 05:06:14 AM »
I know someone working for Intel and I should see him in a couple of weeks. I'll ask if he can pass the demand to the right people.

Offline erik

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 05:22:49 AM »
About the petition: agreed, with the small number of active forum members, that would not make a dent. Either to Geeksphone or to Intel.

Personally, I think it is great to see that forum members are actively thinking about how to continue the life of GP devices. However, I think this can only be successful if we can get full control of the software stack and be able to install that on the device as we please. And I do not see that happening. Intel does not care, because we are only a handful of non-famous/non-important people. And the Geeksphone founders/employees also do not care, for the same reasons. They already washed their hands with "we did all we legally can". No creativity whatsoever from them to find any solution.

Since I am more passionate about Open Hardware, I personally do not feel too compelled putting energy in this project. But I will support by tweeting, participating in testing or other relatively simple things.

I think the people on this forum who really want to put the time and effort into it, should get together and come up with a plan and get to it. Maybe it will be not more than a handful of us.

And then set up a mailing list of some sort, to keep the rest of us informed. Speaking for myself, I will not keep coming back to this forum to check if something new happened.

A lesson for anyone (including myself) setting up an "open" product/project in the future: make it open 'by design' so that if anything happens to the initiators, the community can continue without any hurdles or limitations.

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »
Hey guys,

great news about IRC  :) I found a website where we can discuss in a free and password protected chatroom on our own.

https://rizon.net/chat

Now we only need a point of time WHEN we can do a meeting.
How about Sunday, the 16th of August at 3 p.m. (afternoon) (Germany, timezone GMT / UTC +1h)8)

All those that are interested can send me a private message which should contain the following information:

-his / her emailadress
-his / her "job" in this project (developer or tester)

I will then send (maybe a day before the meeting, don't yet know) an email with the specific link to the chatroom and the necessary password. As erik said, with an invitation per mail it will be easier to handle future meetings.

Of course, I respect your privacy and I WON'T GIVE ANYBODY your mailadresses, I promise!!!
If it is OK for everybody I will send you the invitation mail in CC (everybody's address is visible to the others) and not in BCC (blind copy) - then everybody knows each others address  :) This is better for the community, because if a "key user" leaves the project the others can work on without problems OR form sub-projects like porting Sailfish OS... If somebody does not want that, just tell me in the private message.

Again I have to say, I never did something like this here - I never worked in a project like that, so I have no real idea how things work  :D
I TRY to organise us, the remaining community that don't want to abandon it's Geeksphone Revolution  :)
Any hints are always welcome  8)

So during the IRC meeting there won't be any strict agenda or something, but of course we should focus on the community's interest which is, according to the poll, mainly the development of Firefox OS

Let me know what you think!

Greetings,
Bada3.0

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:08:43 PM by Bada3.0 »
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Offline Benny

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 05:54:37 AM »
Hey I'm Benny,

like many of you I bought the GP Revolution only this year cos I wanted a good phone with FxOS, so I voted for yes as Bug Tester, maybe I can also support FxOS as Developer cos I have basic knowledge of software  and web development but have no experience with smartphone software development.
Many people would like to see FirefoxOS 2.2 on GP Revolution, but sadly GP won't deliver it, so it's up to US to update FirefoxOS. Do you have programming knowledge and would like to help us? Check this thread or PM me!

Offline erik

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Joining IRC meeting
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2015, 06:55:49 AM »
Hi Bada3.0, I sent you a PM for joining the IRC meeting. Cool initiative!