Author Topic: Battery autonomy?  (Read 14843 times)

Offline marantz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Battery autonomy?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »
I'm starting to have huge problems while recharging, using my zero and CM7.0.3.

I have used my gp0 just few weeks, mainly installing applications, so i didn't care much about battery life (i expected it to be pretty short anyway). But now almost every day, leaving GP0 plugged to AC adapter, i can find the battery indicator stuck at random percent, sometimes 22%, 45%, 61%, depending when i have attached my AC adapter.

Now, i am very scared that the battery, that is charging, could overheat... i have no indication that charge stops to 100%, it remain in charge forever (or at least the indicator so says).

Usuallly rebooting will "unlock" the charge, but not always.

Using USB cable is the same, but charging takes much more longer, and i cant leave my laptop on for the whole night just to test battery charge.

Another very strange thing is that, under "battery section" of "spare part" applet, the Voltage indicator is wrong, it is stuck to 3 millivolt (sometimes 4mV).

Guys, what is wrong there ? Is it a software or an hardware issue ?

I'm really really upset about GP0 quality.  Screen angle of view, WiFi that does not resume from sleep, SD card unmounting by itself, battery indicator problem, applications that suddenly hangs...

Can't use GP0 as "general" phone, i'm just threating it as a luxury toy, while still using my old good symbian nokia 6xxx for making calls..

PLEASE SORT OUT ALL THESE GLITCHES PLEASE.

Offline WerN1211

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 02:52:48 PM »
Can't use GP0 as "general" phone, i'm just threating it as a luxury toy, while still using my old good symbian nokia 6xxx for making calls.

Come on, geeksphoners don't have friends to call !  They are all on ICQ anyway.   ;)

I must admit that the battery, SD card unmouting all the time are pissing me off too.

Now 179 EUR is the price of an expensive but not luxury toy.  I have not had a better experience with my many HTC's!  Zero is a one of its kind phone.

Note that if nobody gives bad feed-back to Cyanogen, they will assume that there is no issue at all.

Offline Javier (gp)

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
Guys, all of this is reported in the other threads of the forum. Actuslly that bug has been almost sorted out in the nightlies a couple of weeks ago :)
Give a try to SuperAOSP ROM anyway :)

Offline WerN1211

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 07:50:17 AM »
Currently giving a try to SuperAosp.  It did look very promising for the first hours.

Now I consider rolling back to Cyanogen, for my Zero hardly ever wakes up when the screen is locked for more than 15 minutes.  I have to reboot it (removing the battery) every second time.  I prefer the good old battery indicator and SD unmount issues.   :-\

The battery level indicator problem is ... let's say, different! Today morning, it indicated 110%. ;D (looks like a battery indicator widget issue).

Note the SD unmount issue is fixed in this version and the phone section (of the phone) seems to be much better handled.  Still issues to get screen back after call though.   :-\

I have changed some screen lock settings and screen customization settings and will keep trying SuperAosp for a day or two.   ;)

Offline Mosquito Fillano

• Top Member
  • Thank You
  • ONE: CyanogenMod 7.1  ZERO: GZR 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 08:06:50 AM »
Probably this weekend will be available a new SuperAOSP version with WIFI and SD bugs fixed and a new kernel allowing swap and some other "minor" issues.
  ...porque me gustó la iniciativa de Juan Gómez-Jurado

Offline marantz

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 01:18:42 AM »
Latest CM nightly builds (not CM7.0.3) seem to have fixed some charging problems.
Into "spare part page" the battery voltage is now correctly indicated with 4-digit millivolt.
The charging level on lock-screen seem to update correctly (before it was stuck, even if battery really charging, sometimes the charging stopped and a reboot was required).

Beware that WiFi enabled and configured not to turn off when in sleeping mode will drain batteries very very fast.

Paolo Marani

Offline kedder

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:45:36 PM »
Last time I tried, my battery lasted almost 5 full days, with minimum use (I had some calls during this testing period, but used no wifi or 3g networking).

The battery life is increased dramatically after I uninstalled Quick Settings app (that I installed manually before). With Quck Settings app installed, my phone lasted about 1.5 days. Now, I understand, most of people with battery problems don't have this app installed, but this means some innocent apps can drain battery very fast.

Another thing I did, was recalibrating battery, when charge indicator stopped to grow. In this case, to charge battery, you have to turn off the phone and charge it turned off. In this case I managed to charge it 100% and then recalibrate it (see http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/calibrate-battery-on-android-devices-with-battery-calibration/).

Also, there are suggestions to charge battery a little longer than it takes to 100% for couple of times. I left mine charging for the night two times. Geeksphone user manual says the same, BTW.

Well known battery consumers are: 3g data, wifi, gps, bluetooth, games. Those are always turned off. I turn them on manually when needed.

BTW, I use stock rom. I installed Battery Dog app to monitor battery use.

Offline olivierm

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 12:06:10 AM »
The battery life is increased dramatically after I uninstalled Quick Settings app (that I installed manually before).

I do have QS installed, so I'm going to try this.
Another thing I did, was recalibrating battery, when charge indicator stopped to grow. In this case, to charge battery, you have to turn off the phone and charge it turned off. In this case I managed to charge it 100% and then recalibrate it (see http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/calibrate-battery-on-android-devices-with-battery-calibration/).

Well known battery consumers are: 3g data, wifi, gps, bluetooth, games. Those are always turned off. I turn them on manually when needed.

Do you have any good widget/app to switch 3G data on and off? FOSS would be a plus. QS was pretty useful for that, but...

Offline kedder

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 12:33:19 AM »
Do you have any good widget/app to switch 3G data on and off? FOSS would be a plus. QS was pretty useful for that, but...

3G data can be toggled pretty easily from menu, appearing when you long-press power button. Widget would be better, of course, but I haven't found one yet :)

Offline chripell

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »
Last time I tried, my battery lasted almost 5 full days, with minimum use (I had some calls during this testing period, but used no wifi or 3g networking).

Hi, I was surprised by the figure 5 days when almost completely idle because for my zero (running SR) it's more like 1-1.5 days. So I had a look on what's eating CPU. Unfortunately I'm new to android and just used an old-fashioned top via ssh (BTW any advice about better tool to do this before I start coding?  ;) ). I noticed that memsicd is always doing something even if the zero is standing still on the table (and it has a workqueue in the kernel somehow associated and eating some CPU time too). As a stupid test I killed the process (losing the auto switch orientation of course) and now it's looking much better, the night passed by and the battery is nearly full. It's interesting that "phone in standby" percentage in the battery stat page diminished drastically. Someone else noticed this? Any idea?

I'm going to install SuperAosp 8.6 anyway sometime soon, I'm curious to see the battery autonomy there.

Offline vcatpt

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
Any official battery charge instructions (for the first times and for lifetime) for Zero model?

Offline tetris4

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • MyGNULinux
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 03:44:05 AM »
Any official battery charge instructions (for the first times and for lifetime) for Zero model?
iirc from reading the manual, first time leave it on the charger for 8-10h..then discharge it completely and for some times after that do a charge-discharge cycle so the battery can gain its optimal state.
Also prefer charging it from the wall-charger rather than a PC's USB.

hope this helps a bit =)

Offline vcatpt

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 02:13:29 AM »
and for some times after that do a charge-discharge cycle

that 8-10 hours thing? or is just for the first time?
I'm asking this because are a very important thing for the future of the device

Offline tetris4

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • MyGNULinux
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 04:52:07 AM »
Well its in the manual, part 1.5.3 - Charging Batteries:

"Before the first time use, charge the battery with the original charger for 8 to 10 hours. A new battery may reach its peak performance only after two or three cycles of fully charging and discharging."

The way I understand it, only the first time needs 8-10h, others normally.