Author Topic: ZerO Community ROM 2.2  (Read 10754 times)

Offline rune

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
ZerO Community ROM 2.2
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
A new version 3.0 has been released. Please read mmo_gpf's post below

Introduction
The ZerO Community ROM is based on CyanogenMod 7.2 pre-release (Gingerbread 2.3.7), to which has been added all the Zero-fixes and optimizations developed by the users on this forum.  The final compilation is done by Dosis.  Like CyanogenMod, this rom is fully open source, except for some unavoidable drivers.

This is not an official rom from Geeksphone, and comes without any guarantee.  However, it is my personal favorite.

Previous versions of this rom were called Geeksphoners Dosis ROM CM based, and before that CyanogenMod 2.3.x compiled from source.

Main developers: Dosis, c.val and CML (with inspiration from Code Aurora).  Main testers: Goskum, Gripau, jesus, kacer2k, Mosquito Fillano, m.prieto, mmo_gpf and tassbur.

This text is based on the spanish introduction.  Please comment if you find anything that can be improved in the text.

Changelog from 1.05
  • There is no longer a version with only Spanish and English.  Now, we get a single version with all languages.
  • When charging while the phone is off, it will show 100% when the battery is full (c.val)
  • Audio: updated the kernel and changed the steps in the music volume
  • ZRAM updated
  • Undervolt CPU and wireless to improve battery time
  • Backported MMC drivers from 2.6.35 (source gpzerodev, c.val + patches from Code Aurora)
  • Implement kernel-rev-11 USB. Fixed charge problems with the official charger.
  • Updated application: Ghost Commander
  • New applications: Compass (MIUI open source) AdAway (ad blocker), MathDroid, and all themes from CyanogenMod
  • Changes in the kernel configuration (c.val)
  • SmartassV2 modified to save battery
  • Underclock to 480 MHz by default to save battery
  • Libsensors updated (open source) and modified proximity sensor to show actual distance (c.val)
  • Simple I/O scheduler (c.val)
  • Changed battery driver to avoid displaying voltage spikes (CML)
  • Make the battery indicator shows 100% when full regardless of voltage
  • Default theme: Cyanbread. Default wallpaper: CM Earth
  • Network statistics for each application (CML)
  • Fixed compile warnings (CML)
  • Various modifications of the kernel + compiled with GCC 4.4.6-14 Debian Sid
  • Code cleanup
  • Syncronized with CyanogenMod Gingerbread up to 29th february.

Download
Recovery (optional): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45639978/recovery.img
(MD5: a50a0689d17e1e21bcaf8292aee01e09; SHA1: ebe2a9cf5537a7599eaf567b045596f37b8de5ef)

ZerO Community ROM: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45639978/ZerO_CR_2.2.zip
(MD5: 921041cd769188b0bd976748c9e2e2a6; SHA1: 6fa8613062be33909845eca6e8b7706603d57011)

Google Apps: http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip  This contains only the market, you can download the rest from there.

To wipe or not to wipe
Wipe means delete all user data except on the memory card.

If the new rom doesn't understand the user data from the old rom, unexpected things may happen.  It is always best to wipe, but if your old rom is very similar to the new one, it may work fine without a wipe.

Note: You should perform a wipe when installing this rom, even if you come from version 1.05.

Install new recovery
Updating the recovery is recommended, but not strictly necessary.  You can use Fastboot to update the recovery, or you can use the following procedure:

Download the recovery file to the download folder on the sdcard.
Start Terminal Emulator on the phone (download from market if you don't have it already).
Write the following -- remember that this is case sensitive:
Code: [Select]
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/download/recovery.img

Installation with complete wipe
Deletes everything except the SD-card.  You may want to backup your apps with a program such as Titanium from the market.
  • Copy the rom zip-file to the SD card
  • Restart in Recovery
  • Wipe data / factory reset
  • Advanced → Wipe Dalvik Cache
  • Mounts and storage → Format boot
  • Mounts and storage → Format system
  • Install zip from sdcard → choose zip from sdcard. Then select the Zip and install
  • Reboot
  • If you want Google Apps, you should configure your data connection first (3G or WiFi), then install the GApps zip from recovery.

Installation without wipe
Even though this procedure doesn't delete the user data, a backup is still a good idea...
  • Copy the rom and GApps zip files to the sdcard.
  • Restart in Recovery
  • Wipe cache partition
  • Advanced → Wipe Dalvik cache
  • Mounts and storage → Format boot
  • Install zip from sdcard → choose zip from sdcard. Then select the Zip and install.
  • Install GApps before rebooting.
  • Reboot

If anything goes wrong
Don't panic.  To my knowledge, noone has ever bricked the phone to the point that it couldn't be revived.

If you can still use recovery, you can use that to flash a different rom.  Even if recovery doesn't work, you can flash back to the stock rom using fastboot.  If necessary, ask for help here on the forum.

Calibrate the battery
The driver for the battery has changed a lot between the different roms, so the battery level indicator will likely be all wrong until a calibration is performed.  (Calibration does not actually make the battery last longer.)

All parts of the calibration must be done with the charger supplied with the phone.  A computer or another charger doesn't always charge the Zero properly.

• Charge the battery until it is full.  Remember that you cannot trust the battery indicator yet, so you'll need to either charge for some extra hours, or wait until the battery voltage stops rising (this can be seen in Spare Parts → Battery information).
  • Restart in recovery, and select advanced → wipe battery stats.  Remove the charger and then quickly reboot the phone.
  • Use the Zero until the battery runs out, without any charging in between.
  • Again, charge the battery until it is full.  This completes the calibration.

Source and development
As noted, the rom is based on CyanogenMod source.  Additional source is found here:  http://goo.gl/JcVy8

The following git-repositories are used for development:
https://github.com/Dosis2/geeksphone-kernel-zero
https://github.com/Dosis/android_device_geeksphone_zero

Bugs
There is a bugtracker: http://code.google.com/p/geeksphoners-dosis-rom/issues/list

Bugs should be discussed only on the bugtracker, not in the forum.  Though much of the discussion is in spanish, you are welcome to use english, but please, if you open a new issue, let us know:
  • Rom versión: 1.05, 2.2 etc. It would be desirable to use latest version.
  • Installation method, WIPES, and so on.
  • Gapps version if enabled
  • Step by step in order to reproduce the issue
  • And mandatory, a logcat.

These are the primary, known problems in version 2.2:

Suggested settings
  • The default language is spanish.  To change it, press the menu button, then "Ajustes", "Idioma y teclado", "Selectionar idioma".
  • Don't use task-killers or apps like SetCPU or JuiceDefender.  This rom already contains the necessary options, inherited from CyanogenMod.
  • In CyanogenMod settings → performance → CPU Settings, you can under- or overclock the processor.  Maximum speed = 480 MHz gives you the best battery time, while max = 748 MHz improves performance without any known instability.  You'll want to enable Set on boot as well.
  • In the same place, you can change the CPU governor as well (the algorithm that changes the cpu speed within the interval that you have set).  Interactive, Ondemand and SmartassV2 are all good choices, but avoid Performance.  The governor affects the performance somewhat, e.g. Ondemand may be slightly slower to react to user input, while SmartassV2 may cause a little stuttering in playback of software-decoded videos.  Also, battery time can be a bit different.  Technical description..
  • Call settings: Enable Keep screen awake, and Always use proximity.
  • CyanogenMod settings → performance: Disable surface dithering (better performance).
  • ADWLauncher → Drawer settings: Disable animated drawer and Fade app labels (uses less ram and CPU).
  • FM Radio → Settings → Regional band.  Must be set according to your location (defaults to North America).

Special notes
The compass works better than in earlier roms, but is still not perfect.  Make sure you keep the phone horizontal when using it – like you would a traditional compass.  Every time you reboot, you'll need to calibrate the compass with an app like GPS Status & Toolbox.  Either follow that app's instructions, or do it as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YCyIsNhHQc

Because the camera zoom is digital, not optical, it works by reducing the resolution of the picture. A compromise between zoom and resolution is 3 megapixels.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:51:22 AM by rune »

Offline dector

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: ZerO Community ROM 2.2
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
Congratulation for all this beautiful work.

But to install the recovery file how to do? because the link given in the instruction is a megaupload one :-(

thank you

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
But to install the recovery file how to do? because the link given in the instruction is a megaupload one :-(
Fastboot is part of the SDK that you can download from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.

You also need USB-drivers for your phone in Fastboot-mode.  These are not the same drivers as normally.  CML has written in another thread that these drivers will work for WinXP: http://www.geeksphone.com/zerohome/ZERO_DRIVERS_NT.rar.  Actually, it is often easier to get it working in Linux.

If you need more help, just say so.  Or you can elect to stay with the old recovery.

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
Fastboot is part of the SDK that you can download from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.
Oops, maybe that isn't true.  It seems that Google provides it as part of the android source, not as part of the SDK.

You can try this link for WinXP and Win7: http://www.geeksphone.com/zerohome/adb_fastboot.rar

Offline Dosis

• VIP
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
  • debiand@riseup.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
Great job!

Update Recovery link  ;) (Edit: and source code)

Saludos
“Enseñar a los niños el uso de software libre en las escuelas, formará individuos con sentido de libertad“

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »
Great job!
Thanks.  And even more thanks for creating this rom in the first place.

Update Recovery link  ;) (Edit: and source code)
Oh, I hadn't noticed that.  Both links should be fixed now. (BTW, the source link is also wrong on the google code page).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:19:23 AM by rune »

Offline dector

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:47:38 AM »
Thank you finally I found a tutorial how install adb, so I can install the new recovery with that method

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

But before have I to run "adb devices"?

I think it could be nice to change the link " learn about Fastboot" here

Install new recovery
Updating the recovery is recommended, but not strictly necessary.

You need to use Fastboot to update the recovery.  See this thread to learn about Fastboot

because it doesn t work anymore!  (sniff sniff goodbye megaupload)

But I have a big question, what is the difference between the "old" recovery and the new one? Because If the old one works why to take the risk to install an other one?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:52:30 AM by dector »

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:06 AM »
I think it could be nice to change the link " learn about Fastboot" here
We really need a new thread about Fastboot.  The old thread has gotten very long, and pixiebob is no longer around to update the top post.  Did you find a good tutorial on the net?

In the mean time, I'll change the instructions above to use flash_image instead of fastboot.

But I have a big question, what is the difference between the "old" recovery and the new one? Because If the old one works why to take the risk to install an other one?
I haven't found a real changelog, but I think that the nandroid backup part was changed between version 3.x and version 5.x.

The way I understand it, the recovery uses the same kernel as the main rom.  And the recovery must know the general file structure used by the rom in order to e.g. clear the dalvik cache.  Both things mean that you need to keep compatibility between the rom and the recovery.  Though I haven't heard about any actual incompatibility between the different recoveries and roms.

mmo_gpf

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:03 AM »

The "old" recovery does NOT backup your SD nor restore it.
The new recovery is improved in order to backup and restore the whole content of your SD. This is very very useful if you use app2sd or Link2Sd applications.

And finally, of course, the new recovery has been generated in latest compilation, so is brand new :)

Kind regards

Offline std.concept

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:14:48 AM »
Thank's !

Download in progress :D

Offline std.concept

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 01:34:10 AM »
Installed, works fine :D

Offline dobrov78

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:33 AM »
Really smooth but i still got a problem.
Each time my phone runs out of battery and i wake him up, I got a "widget error". (adw launcher ex)
Do someone know what to do?

mmo_gpf

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:12:04 AM »
Really smooth but i still got a problem.
Each time my phone runs out of battery and i wake him up, I got a "widget error". (adw launcher ex)
Do someone know what to do?

Maybe you've moved to SD the application (the one you use widget), so the widget is not loaded properly.

Try to check that....

Kind regards

Offline dobrov78

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 03:51:11 AM »
Ok thanks, i'll try that.

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47:42 AM »
Dosis and c.val are already working on the next version:

http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=3407

It updates the kernel from 2.6.32 to 2.6.35.  Currently, it is in the testing phase.