Author Topic: GP Revolution GPL, Gaia and Gecko code  (Read 19367 times)

Offline derstef

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re:GP Revolution GPL, Gaia and Gecko code
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
Why do you buy hardware in Asia for building a free phone when you know the drivers are closed source?
I bought a revolution cause i liked the idea of building the os for my phone directly from an open git repo.
Now im bound to the release cycle of obviously over-strained start-up-guys :(

Offline arthurr

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
saulo : we talk about FFOS (Firefox OS).
everybody want to have the ability to compil any firefix os version for the revolution.

Offline nbourdais

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2014, 06:30:00 AM »
Yes, we are working in get a way to compile a image with some binaries which source code cannot publish.
Hi Luis, could we have any update on this?

Nicolas

Offline luis.cuervo

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 06:53:07 AM »
We are trying hard, fist or June another person will come to help us to engineering team (right now he is getting experience with Revolution) so all will be faster. When I have more info will share with you.

Offline nbourdais

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »
We are trying hard, fist or June another person will come to help us to engineering team (right now he is getting experience with Revolution) so all will be faster. When I have more info will share with you.
Great to know.
Nicolas

Offline jorge.alves

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »
Any news on this? Time is going by and people's interest is fading. The reason I bought this phone is to be able to test FirefoxOS just like I do with Firefox but right now I don't have either a dev version of FirefoxOS or a fully working phone.

You guys should work on providing a way for people to make their own builds even before fixing bugs. Doesn't matter if some extra work is needed to make some features work as long as you provide everything you have (like drivers) and we can try by ourselves. Otherwise people will just move on and the phone will become irrelevant very quickly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:19:24 PM by jorge.alves »

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 05:02:23 AM »
Any news on this? Time is going by and people's interest is fading. The reason I bought this phone is to be able to test FirefoxOS just like I do with Firefox but right now I don't have either a dev version of FirefoxOS or a fully working phone.

You guys should work on providing a way for people to make their own builds even before fixing bugs. Doesn't matter if some extra work is needed to make some features work as long as you provide everything you have (like drivers) and we can try by ourselves. Otherwise people will just move on and the phone will become irrelevant very quickly.

I think jorge is right - it is really time to give us the code in hands  :)
Maybe some of us are also able to solve the REVOLUTION bugs (deep sleep --> no awakening) which are really JUST Revolution, not Firefox OS bugs.

Needless to say, it's also been a while since the last bugfixing FOTA was released...  ::)
What about a new FOTA ???  :(
By the way, how is the new technician?
Will he support you more in Android or Firefox OS features?

We're still hungry for updates, don't stop conversation now, you really had a good starting in getting back trust and believe - don't waste this now again  ;)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline luis.cuervo

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 05:25:49 AM »
New enginner is taking some of our work so we are more free to come back to bugs, but it starts 11 days ago, so need some time to work without any help. His help will be great, but need some time to take all the work...

Offline derstef

• Thank You
    • View Profile

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
Any updates? How about 1.4?
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/B2G_Landing#Versions_and_Scheduling

I think that geeksphone will skip 1.4 for releasing firefox os 2.0 earlier to us!
In fact I hope os ;D and in MY opinion that makes sense, but only if it is not a PRE-VERSION again...

Everybody knows how buggy Revolution's 1.3 was and still is  ::)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline eman

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
Hi guys from Geeksphone,

it's now some months ago you released the Revolution - a quite nice device imho, I like the design in black and white. Compared to most of the available FFOS devices like the ZTE Open or the LG Fireweb, it has relatively strong hardware, even compared to the Mozilla reference phone it is quite good. Even the criticized x86-processor offers a bunch of possibilities. Actually it would be a quite suitable developer device, if there wouldn't be the problem with the drivers.

Nobody is interested in an half-abandoned Revolution phone and actually it's quite pointless to look at an Git-Repository with only one commit. Even on your main page you solicit for the Revolution, that there will be the possibility for "other community-developed builds" and I really think most of the people, who bought the device would like to develop on your device but can't.

In this thread ( https://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=5980.0 ) Luis told us, that Geeksphone is going to publish a way to compile Android and FFOS. Actually there isn't so much about it. All we need are the drivers and some basic instructions, maybe some experienced Android Custom ROM maker don't even need them.

I understand that you make an effort on the Blackphone and I did not ever expect from Geeksphone delivering an out of the box perfect experience (if so, I would possibly buy an iPhone), but if you are really working on some bugfixes for the Revolution, as you say, you must have already a more or less working toolchain. So what is the big deal about publishing the binaries as well?

In short: If you really want an active community developing on your phone, you must empower you users by giving them the tools. The best time to do so was a few months ago. The next best time is now. If you don't, they'll go away and never come back.

Greets.

Offline luis.cuervo

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 01:27:31 AM »
I can only say that soon you will have more info about this...

We are working pretty hard so you can build your own image...

Offline Cwiiis

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • ChrisLord.net
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
Any updates on this? Been quite a while now.

Offline saulo

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
I think GP will launch kitkat for Revolution just after Cyanogen Kitkat for x86 be ready...

Offline Cwiiis

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • ChrisLord.net
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 07:23:22 AM »
I can only say that soon you will have more info about this...

We are working pretty hard so you can build your own image...

Any updates?