Author Topic: Who tried 1.4 and 2.0?  (Read 8198 times)

Offline bdcomp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Who tried 1.4 and 2.0?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
Hi.
Very well for the video.

But I still have no GPS at all in my Peak, in 1.3

Does it work in 2.0 ?

Yes, GPS works on 2.0

Offline Djan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 02:18:23 AM »
Hi together,

I own the Geeksphone Revolution with FFOS 1.3pre and I'm not satisfied with the battery drain  :(

Is there any improvement from 1.3 to 2.0? By the way do you also have a weak battery life with Peak or is it just the Revolution?

Greetings

From my point of view it hasn't improve at all.
Without data connection and GPS and not much use (only phone calls) it can last the day but if you use the data or worse watch a video on YouTube with WiFi, it drains fast (about 50% for a video of 20 min and a very warm phone...).

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 12:59:16 AM »

From my point of view it hasn't improve at all.
Without data connection and GPS and not much use (only phone calls) it can last the day but if you use the data or worse watch a video on YouTube with WiFi, it drains fast (about 50% for a video of 20 min and a very warm phone...).

Thank you, I made the same experience! GPS is always disabled on my Revolution but after a view videos on youtube the battery drains very fast.

@ GP: Hope that your future Firefox OS phones (if there are any, don't know what you're planning) have a better battery (about 2800 mAh).  :-[
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
I installed version 2.0 on my Peak a few days ago.
For now it looks stable enough to be usable.

But there are still some very annoying issues :
- most important : scrolling in the contact list is veeeery slow and laggy. You have to use the letter shortcuts or you will lose your nerves. NB : same issue with or without hardware composition
- scrolling in the homescreen is also very slow. It was much quicker and easier to use when scrolling was horizontal (in 1.3 version)
- moving an icon in the homescreen is very difficult, probably because of the same performance issue : you have to be very patient. Advice : avoid moving the icon above other ones : reorganizing the icons seems to consume a lot of CPU for now
- I had a few crashes in the browser on some complex pages
- I did not manage to use the "find my device" feature : the device is configured but never located. Maybe it's still a work-in-progress

I could upgrade from version 1.3 without losing anything.
The videos are working properly.
Regarding battery life, I have a feeling that it does not last as much as with version 1.3, but it's probably too soon to say.

Offline GKB

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »
I went back from 2.0 to 1.3 because of sudden rebooting and battery drain while using the internet. The browser was pretty much unusable because of this behaviour. There are a few threads about this topic here.
With 1.3 I first thought the rebooting and battery drain were gone, but it just takes a little longer. Now I can browse the internet for about 5 minutes until the phone reboots and suddenly shows an empty battery.

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
The performance issues in Contacts and Homescreen are still there with latest v2.0 version.
So I opened https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1071952 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1071958 to track these problems.

Offline joseignaciofff

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »

Posted by: GKB
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

Insert Quote

I went back from 2.0 to 1.3 because of sudden rebooting and battery drain while using the internet. The browser was pretty much unusable because of this behaviour. There are a few threads about this topic here.
With 1.3 I first thought the rebooting and battery drain were gone, but it just takes a little longer. Now I can browse the internet for about 5 minutes until the phone reboots and suddenly shows an empty battery.

It's a battery problem.

It is solved with a new battery

http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6188.0

Offline Djan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:18 AM »
Overheating occurs since version 1.0. Spend at 1.1; 1.2; 1.3; 1.4; 2.0 and 2.1.

Not depend on the version of Firefox OS.

With a new battery, spend less, but still going. Now I'm FFOS V2.0.

For me, it is up to the battery.

So you say that it's better but still going. It's normal to have the battery during longer when it's new... I'm so not entirely convinced that this is only batttery related.
For me the drain is acceptable but is bigger with new versions.

Offline GKB

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »

It's a battery problem.

It is solved with a new battery

http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6188.0

I don't know if I can believe this.
And I don't know for how long the new battery will last longer.
But if that's really the solution, that's no relief, since the batteries for peak seem to be no longer produced:
https://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6257.0

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
The latest builds seem to improve the scrolling performance : I closed the corresponding bugzilla issue (hardware composition is needed)
Moving an icon in the homescreen has also been improved, but is still difficult to achieve.
I did not have any crashes recently.
I still do not manage to use the "find my device" feature

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »
v2.0-2014-11-13, clean install:
+ scrolling on homescreen and in contacts is actually quite fast
+ moving icons on the homescreen works without any problems (with 3 as well as 4 columns)
+ my SIM card is found on startup (yes, really - no need for switching on/off the airplane mode anymore)
+ system and browser are quite stable, power consumption and temperatures are normal
+ I can switch from Wi-Fi to 3G and back again
- disconnect the USB cable before running the setup, otherwise FFOS will crash!
- the app "mehr tanken" will crash the system
- real GPS still/again not working
=> v2.0 is okay for everyday use

v2.1-2014-11-13, clean install:
+ FFOS looks for high quality favicons when pinning a website to the homescreen
- the browser is totally unstable and crashes the system after a few seconds
- power consumption is up for the system and especially for the browser
- my SIM card is not found, so I have to get onto the airplane and back off again
=> v2.1 is unuseable for now

Hope this helps,

Michael
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:39:30 AM by Doelf »

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
I agree that v2.0 is now usable on the Peak.
But there are still some annoying bugs :
- some network activity every 6 seconds, which consumes many MB of data (and probably reduces the battery life) for nothing. See discussion in http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6328.0
- still a few crashes in the browser in long pages : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1067157
- device orientation is inverted : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1067176

On my device, GPS is working properly, but it can take a few minutes to locate. Some applications give up on timeout before the fix, so I often need to try geolocation several times before having it working.

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 04:02:18 AM »
Which build are you running on your Peak? The one dated 2014/11/13 won't find a location even after a few hours outside pointing directly at the sky... (feels like my arm is falling off)

Offline Doelf

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 10:51:39 AM »
I correct myself: After 140 minutes Here Maps has a signal. But it's approximately 15 km off ?!?

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
I tried again today, with latest FOTA version (v2.0.0.0-prerelease, build id 20141117072407).
After ~2 minutes, I got a GPS fix with a precision of ~30m

If the precision is of several kilometers, it's most probably because the geolocation does not come from the GPS of your device. It probably comes from one of the other methods available (I don't know exactly which ones are enabled on the Peak builds) :
- geolocation based on the IP address
- geolocation based on the Google API, given by the proximity of Wifi hotspots around you
- geolocation based on the Mozilla Location Service (or another similar service), based on the GSM cells detected around your device (and/or Wifi hotspots)
- or maybe other methods?

In any case, the most precise method is the GPS.

It also might depend on the application/website you're using. In the geolocation API, the developer can specify how precise he wants the geolocation to be.
I suggest that you try with (for example) the app gspDashboard https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/gpsdashboard.
In my case, it first gave me a very approximate position (precision of several kilometers), then after one or 2 minutes, the position was much more precise

If you don't manage to have a precise geolocation, maybe the GPS of your device might be broken?