Author Topic: GP Revolution GPL, Gaia and Gecko code  (Read 18955 times)

Offline Cwiiis

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
    • ChrisLord.net
Re:GP Revolution GPL, Gaia and Gecko code
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
Bit disappointed that over a month since the source release (and longer since the phone shipping), there's still no word on when we'll be able to build our own images... I was really hoping that the Revolution would become my primary development phone, but that's impossible for the moment.

Are there any plans to enable those outside of Geeksphone to develop for this phone?

Offline Badrael

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »
Without this it's extremely difficult for us to fix the broken, and it's staying broken..  I'm not excited about another broken stack instead of actually fixing the ones that are already released.  Consider getting one stack at a time solid before moving on.  If you don't have resources to build one solid stack, why do you think you can support three?

So - if we can't really develop for this, and it's difficult to use as an actual phone (turning on reliably is nice, right?) - why buy this?  WebGL - surprise! - doesn't work.

I'm actually sorry I waited too long to reasonably ask for a refund.. :-/

Offline saulo

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 05:38:55 AM »
Without this it's extremely difficult for us to fix the broken, and it's staying broken..  I'm not excited about another broken stack instead of actually fixing the ones that are already released.  Consider getting one stack at a time solid before moving on.  If you don't have resources to build one solid stack, why do you think you can support three?

So - if we can't really develop for this, and it's difficult to use as an actual phone (turning on reliably is nice, right?) - why buy this?  WebGL - surprise! - doesn't work.

I'm actually sorry I waited too long to reasonably ask for a refund.. :-/

I am facing the same problem, after wait a long time for the launch and invest some money in this phone I can not even build my own system. I dont believe that a refund will be possible but next mobile models will not sell as expected.

For sure some costumers was expecting to install Android and B2G and select one at boot time as  marketing suggested but it is also not possible!

I think Geeksphone released a hardware when they were not prepared to provide the software. It was a big mistake and the next step it to the company is to close the door.

Offline Rodrigo (gp)

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 06:15:35 AM »
Hello,

I'm sorry about your disappointment, but we never suggested that dual boot was possible when we launched the Revolution.

Revolution is not a pure Developer Device as Peak or Keon was, and even if we try always to be Developer Friendly, there is parts of the kernel under licences.

Geeksphone it's an "Open Source Mobile Telephony Brand", but Telephony Industry have strong rules, and we need to choose between innovation and freedom.... ;)

Offline xinouch

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »
we need to choose between innovation and freedom.... ;)

that's a funny phrase from a company that provides Firefox OS, a not so innovative mobile OS but as free as possible ;)

Offline Cwiiis

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • ChrisLord.net
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
Yeah, that's nonsense. Quoting from geeksphone.com:

"Geeksphone MultiOS technology allows you to choose your operating system. Starting with Google® Android™ operating system, you can seamlessly switch to Boot2Gecko by Mozilla, or any other community-supported flavor of an OS."

If that doesn't suggest dual-boot, I don't know what does - having to flash and wipe the device is not a 'seamless switch'.

That's besides the point though, I do believe you're still obligated to distribute your modified GPL sources, which your online repository no longer corresponds to.

I'm especially disappointed given the previous excellent support of the Keon and Peak, but I guess my disappointment doesn't really mean much. I'd have loved to help (and still would) make this device a supported device in the B2G tree, but going on that last comment, there appears to be no interest in this any longer. I'll cut my losses, this is the last Geeksphone device I'll be buying - I didn't pay over the odds for a mediocre Android phone that has poor B2G support.

Offline jravenger4

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 05:36:00 AM »
Quoted from GP fb page:

"Geeksphone Revolution gets CyanogenMod 11 option, price cut to EUR 199."

I'm so excited and search it in this forum if it is true and then found out that there is..."nothing".

Man, don't even try to mention it publicly if there is no such thing exist! Another vaporware I guess, just to sell. :(

Offline Badrael

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »
Revolution is not a pure Developer Device as Peak or Keon was, and even if we try always to be Developer Friendly, there is parts of the kernel under licences.

If it's not a Developer device, then it's about the worst consumer release ever.  Sorry - you either get to put out a rough Developer device that people can work on and improve (and fix!), or you put in the time and resources to put together a proper product and sell as a Consumer device.  For a Consumer device this is terrible - the power button doesn't even work properly!  (I know, I know..  It's being fixed.  But when?)

If that's the position - that this is not a Develper device - can I get a refund?  At least with the Peak I can build/tweak a stack for it.  Perhaps I can trade the Revolution in for a Peak?  (Frankly, it works better.)

Offline saulo

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 05:13:49 AM »
I am not happy with my Revolution phone too and I think Geeksphone should be more open with customers. If they share schedules, roadmap, bug track with customers them we could at least know what to expect from this phone.

Offline Coffinwood

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 01:35:17 AM »

"Geeksphone MultiOS technology allows you to choose your operating system. Starting with Google® Android™ operating system, you can seamlessly switch to Boot2Gecko by Mozilla, or any other community-supported flavor of an OS."

If that doesn't suggest dual-boot, I don't know what does - having to flash and wipe the device is not a 'seamless switch'.

Well, I think you didn't understand it. You start with Android and with the push of a few buttons you get B2G. Seamlessly. Switching back and forth and having several OSs side by side is mentioned nowhere, at all. Not even going back from B2G to Android is mentioned at any time.
It doesn't matter what you think it suggests. If in doubt: ask and you'll get an answer, if not, don't buy the phone.

Besides, am I the only perfectly happy customer with a working device? The only downside for me is the slow progress on FXOS/B2G. At the current state it is unusable. I had hoped to be able to "switch seamlessly" to FXOS when my Revolution arrived. But that's not Geeksphone "fault". FXOS just needs more time to "ripen". Perhaps 2.0 will be a leap towards true usability.

Offline Screwtape

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 02:18:44 AM »
I'm happily using my Revolution, FxOS and all. Sure, it's occasionally a little glitchy, and the browser is still much more limited than Firefox for Android, but everything more or less works and I can read websites and listen to music and watch videos.

Offline Cwiiis

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • ChrisLord.net
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 02:47:08 AM »

Well, I think you didn't understand it. You start with Android and with the push of a few buttons you get B2G. Seamlessly. Switching back and forth and having several OSs side by side is mentioned nowhere, at all. Not even going back from B2G to Android is mentioned at any time.
It doesn't matter what you think it suggests. If in doubt: ask and you'll get an answer, if not, don't buy the phone.

Besides, am I the only perfectly happy customer with a working device? The only downside for me is the slow progress on FXOS/B2G. At the current state it is unusable. I had hoped to be able to "switch seamlessly" to FXOS when my Revolution arrived. But that's not Geeksphone "fault". FXOS just needs more time to "ripen". Perhaps 2.0 will be a leap towards true usability.

I'm not bothered by the lack of booting options, but I don't think one-touch flashing of other OS's from Android, and no quick/obvious way back is enough to be called a 'seamless switch'. If you think it is, fine, we can disagree on this.

I would suggest you try using FxOS 1.3 on another device that supports it properly, it's quite a different experience. I'm using the ZTE Open C as my primary phone now, and it makes obvious that a lot of the issues with the Revolution are down to poor support, not FxOS. 1.4 has some nice performance improvements and 2.0 has some great UI changes, but even 1.3 is perfectly usable.

Geeksphone have disabled gralloc surfaces for everything except video due to a bug that was fixed almost two months ago (I know, I fixed it in anticipation of getting a Revolution - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=950050). They've also disabled canvas acceleration, for the same reason. This causes serious performance and usability issues, not to mention breaking WebGL. The Atom chip is so much more powerful than the average FxOS hardware that it goes a good way to compensating for this, but inferior hardware that supports these features performs markedly better. Scrolling on pages is smoother on Geeksphone's own Keon than it is on the Revolution because of this.

There are a number of other Revolution-specific issues that may well have been fixed by now if external developers were able to contribute. Most people bought this phone to run FxOS (I think that's fair to say given the contents of this forum), I don't understand what being so obtuse about the matter is achieving.

I'm upset because I care - Geeksphone's support of FxOS prior to this phone is second-to-none. It's a shame to see their standard slipping.

Offline CC

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 03:44:14 AM »
I'm happily using my Revolution, FxOS and all. Sure, it's occasionally a little glitchy, and the browser is still much more limited than Firefox for Android, but everything more or less works and I can read websites and listen to music and watch videos.

Same here.
Additionally I can send and receive E-Mails ;-).
But I'm sure I'm not the usual smartphone user nor a smartphone app developer (yet), so demands may be different.
All considered and apart from the glitches mentioned and the work-in-progress state of FFOS/B2G this thing it's exactly what I wanted.

That said, I would appreciate Geeksphone communicating a little bit more open about which bugs will be fixed when, especially this graphics thing, and which B2G version is used, plans for FFOS 2, and made it better possible for others to help, too.

Offline Badrael

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
I would suggest you try using FxOS 1.3 on another device that supports it properly, it's quite a different experience. I'm using the ZTE Open C as my primary phone now, and it makes obvious that a lot of the issues with the Revolution are down to poor support, not FxOS. 1.4 has some nice performance improvements and 2.0 has some great UI changes, but even 1.3 is perfectly usable.

Are there docs on building for the new ZTE?  I'd buy one in a heartbeat if that's the case.  Put the Revolution on a shelf hoping for the time that Geeksphone corrects this bit of rectal/cranial inversion. ;-)

Offline arthurr

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 02:07:48 AM »
Very happy of my revolution under FFOS.
Be more happy if we could compil any version of FFOS for this phone : wait and see ! :)