Author Topic: Android 5.0 Lollipop on GP  (Read 5951 times)

Offline marciofao

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
    • marciofao
Android 5.0 Lollipop on GP
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
Is there some forecast for being disponible to the geeksphones the New Android 5.0 Lollipop that is being released already to the samsung, HTC and Motorola phones?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:08:02 PM by marciofao »

Offline taratatach

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Android 5.0 Lolipop on GP
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
They just ported CM11 (based on Android 4.4 if I'm not mistaken) and still have to port Firefox OS 2.0.
I'm sorry but it's probably not going to be available before a pretty long time.

Offline Rodrigo (gp)

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:51:53 AM »
Hi,

We are evaluating.

Thanks..... ;)

Offline Neuromancer2013

• Thank You
  • Where is Wintermute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Is there some forecast for being disponible to the geeksphones the New Android 5.0 Lolipop that is being released already to the samsung, HTC and Motorola phones?

I don't believe it's a good idea to give Geeksphone the chance to drop the development efforts on the main 3 software projects relating to the Revolution!

Or, in other words, do we really want them to change to a new project wished by some customers without fulfilling the started projects the most customers wanted?
No!

In my opinion a change will end once again in a never ending story of waiting ...

The main 3 software projects they have to fulfill are:
  • fixing the known own errors to FFOS 1.3 step by step and make those solutions available,
  • stabilize the CyanogenMod 11 (comparable to Android 4.4.4) and
  • ultimately porting FFOS 2.0!
By the way, the most organisational projects are:
  • restoring confidence to the brand Geeksphone,
  • enhancing the degree of reliance,
  • improving the information quality,
  • fairly split the developers capacity between SilentCircle tasks (BlackPhone etc.) and Geeksphone tasks, and
  • at last offering the promised own source code snippets to let more free developers participate!

Just to put my own two cents ...
Neuromancer

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:45:27 AM »
Is there some forecast for being disponible to the geeksphones the New Android 5.0 Lolipop that is being released already to the samsung, HTC and Motorola phones?

I don't believe it's a good idea to give Geeksphone the chance to drop the development efforts on the main 3 software projects relating to the Revolution!

Or, in other words, do we really want them to change to a new project wished by some customers without fulfilling the started projects the most customers wanted?
No!

In my opinion a change will end once again in a never ending story of waiting ...

• fixing the known own errors to FFOS 1.3 step by step and make those solutions available,
  • fairly split the developers capacity between SilentCircle tasks (BlackPhone etc.) and Geeksphone tasks, and
  • at last offering the promised own source code snippets to let more free developers participate!

Neuromancer

In my opinion, Firefox OS 1.3 bugs won't be fixed for GP Revolution as Firefox OS 2.0 is ported at the moment, but I agree with you, more new projects just delay the other projects  :-[

I'm personally interested in Firefox OS and maybe in Sailfish OS (Jolla). Although I didn't want to buy a ZTE Open C, I was interested in the FFOS 2.2 mod (http://forum.xda-developers.com/firefox-os/general/zte-c-2-1-modui-t2853315) . So I got a new ZTE Open C on ebay for 59€ (!!!) which is not that much.  :)
The FFOS 2.2 mod is great and it shows how much potential Firefox OS can have on Geeksphone Revolution!  :o
Believe me guys, between FFOS 1.3 and FFOS 2.2 is a whole new world. That mod rocks that 60€-smartphone (if you forget the bugs that the mod still has: push problem, calendar issues, ... performance is better than the FFOS1.3 build delivered by ZTE)

I'm really looking forward on the possibility to create own roms for GP Revolution  8)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline diback

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
So I got a new ZTE Open C on ebay for 59€ (!!!) which is not that much.  :)
Dispatched and delivered inside Germany for 49 Euro incl. PP: http://www.comebuy.com/handys-android-smartphone-4-zoll-handy-om33494.html

Offline neo87

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »
Good evening, I think we should never get so attached to a thing, I think beautifully they move to android lollipop, I hope it takes not to come because I am anxious to try!

Neo87

Offline marciofao

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • marciofao
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:17 PM »

No!

Neuromancer

Neuromancer, you are right. Really it's going to be better if the projects be concluded.
By the way, I think a lot of the lollipop new features Looks very much the same as the CM features.

Offline vedsa

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Android 5.0 Lollipop on GP
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »
I dont think they can release an android 5.0 in these moment, they are probably busy with CM11 and FFOS 2.X
so start working in a new "OS" gonna not be easy

after that i dont know "if they can work is these like they want"
for exemple FFOS is open source if i not mistake
but whant about Jolla (sailFish OS), ubuntu touch , can they decide to work in these OS for their own GP revolution when they want? or they need to speak with these people who detain them?

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 04:49:57 AM »
but whant about Jolla (sailFish OS), ubuntu touch , can they decide to work in these OS for their own GP revolution when they want? or they need to speak with these people who detain them?

According to the GP engineers, Jolla already received a GP Revolution for porting  :) Unfortunately, there is no response yet.
I also asked if it is possible to port Sailfish OS to GP Revolution (also because Revolution is more powerful than the Jolla hardware)
http://www.thejollablog.com/jolla-releases-sailfish-os-hardware-adaptation-development-kit-android/

As you said, there won't be enough human ressources to bring Sailfish OS / Ubuntu Touch / Tizen OS to Revolution. This will be "community work"  ;)
For that we surely (?) need the necessary drivers for Revolution's hardware.
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline vedsa

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »
Thanks for the link

hope see one day sailfish in this GP revolution

many Mobile OS system run often in ARM processor, the GP revolution processor is an intel (so not an ARM architecture) can that be make more difficult for install another os.

Offline Luke

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »
Have you guys tried out Android 5 on an emulator? Are there any actual new features users would want? It's seriously weird and messed up in many ways compared to previous versions.

First they decide not to have 4 dedicated hardware keys (bad decision), and have home/back/multitask buttons on 4.x, and make everything black and blue themed. (Really...? Palm OS had ways to change color themes, and the default in 4 is ugly compared to froyo/GB! Come on guys Windowsphone has color theme options and is pracitally-speaking much better than Android here!)

Now on 5.0 it wasn't enough to have 3 soft-buttons, it is dumbed-down to having basic kindergarden shapes like circle, triangle, and square instead of widely recognizable back, home, multi-window buttons. According to best practices is a home button a circle, a square, or a triangle???

The more Android 5.0 is rolled out to devices, the more people are going to jump-ship from Android. It's just a matter of time.
Geeksphone should definintely update the phones, but please use something that will become widely used in the near future, and makes sense (perhaps Firefox-3? or Ubuntu-phone?) not Android-5.

Offline djbarney

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »
I noticed that as well. My old Symbian phone had a theme'ing system. Google seem to have some direction issues with Android. No theme'ing, then the blocking users from their SD cards. At the moment, by the look if it, Android's strength is the enormous amount of software available for it as well as mostly stable and widely available hardware support. UI functionality is also good. I found Firefox OS 2.0 difficult to comprehend, and not just because I wasn't used to it. Cyanogenmod appears to be the leader for rooted phones. I think it has a theme'ing engine ? Not sure. But Ubuntu and Firefox may catch up fast.

Offline marciofao

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • marciofao
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:06:52 PM »
Hello, Once said that the Lolipop port needs to be done by a community effort, is there anyone here that have a Idea of how to put the drivers needed to make a Lolipop System image to work with the GP Revolution?

I Tried to install this Android Lolipop System image via ADB:

http://magnet2torrent.me/loaded/189.30.49.124/02B665441D3A553C93F390ADBCD8A828B003FB6A.torrent
or Magnet: http://is.gd/qa7npI
(I did Extracted the .tgz and made a update.zip to be used)

But of course it doesn't pass the file check before installing.

I am from a Technology major but I am not a computer Cientist. If is there anyone out there that already tried something similar to it, I would like to try it too.