Poll

Is there still interest in supporting the GP Revolution?

YES, count on me! I'll try to support you in developing / porting / answering questions ...
18 (10.5%)
YES, count on me! I'll support you in bug reporting / alpha testing (Good for those who don't use the Revolution as a "productive" phone)
39 (22.8%)
I'm interested in future versions of FIREFOX OS
63 (36.8%)
I'm interested in future versions of CYANOGEN MOD
21 (12.3%)
I'm interested in future versions of ANDROID
3 (1.8%)
I'm interested in SAILFISH OS
9 (5.3%)
I'm interested in UBUNTU TOUCH
10 (5.8%)
I'm interested in TIZEN OS
2 (1.2%)
NO, I'm fed up with that phone and a further development by the community is no profit for me...
6 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: [Poll] Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?  (Read 23843 times)

Offline jambolo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Geeksphone Revolution - (How) Shall we continue?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »
Beautiful idea to the survey, I hope in a rethinking by the GP.

Otherwise we would have to find another platform to update this phone.
sorry for English
--
Many people would like to see FirefoxOS 2.2 on GP Revolution, but sadly GP won't deliver it, so it's up to US to update FirefoxOS. Do you have programming knowledge and would like to help us? Check this thread or PM me!

Offline uk169

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 08:39:51 AM »
Very nice initiative  :)

So is there still hope for Geeksphone with Firefox OS?

Offline hyshka

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 01:04:42 PM »
I do need to use my Revolution as a production phone but I am willing to do a limited amount of testing and possibly some other scripting/legwork should an active port start up.

Offline aoikeiichi

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 11:43:08 PM »
IT studies so I can develop.
Yet I had only tried to root an HTC wildfire which was stolen from me some weeks after I got cyanogen on it and now I trusted geeksphone for FFOS, sadly.
So not much experience there but I'd be happy to dig some code, learn and test builds with my device.
Btw thank you Bada3.0, you've already done much, I would clearly not have such patience.

Offline nurf

• Thank You
  • Namasté
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 05:19:48 AM »
Hello everybody,

First of all I'd like to thank Bada3.0 for the good work he's done so far and this initiative!  Great job! :)

I've just registered for this forum, so that I can offer some help (if possible). I use a Revolution as my daily device, but might be able to do some testing!? It would be a pity if no further development will happen.

By the way, did anyone read the news about Mozilla planning to release Firefox OS for all Android-Smartphones (found this German article on the net: https://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/mozilla/firefox-os/2015/07/18/zukuenftige-firefox-os-versionen-fuer-alle-android-smartphones/). I don't know how that'll help with the blob- / driver-situation, but it seems to be a silver lining on the horizon. :)

Cheers,
nurf

Offline erik

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 04:45:04 AM »
Hi Geeksphone community,

I also bought the Revolution mainly because of Firefox OS and because the phone was manufactured by a European start-up. And I bought it just a month ago, so I am a bit sad, even angry a bit, like many of you.

The main thing that bothers me is the lack of communication from the Geeksphone founders or employees to its customers and community.

Therefor I propose this: sending an open letter as GP community to GP management asking for answers on our most important questions, relating to clarifying there moves, how they see the future of GP (support) and how they see the future of GP.

And in case the result of this is insufficient, I see the possibility of looking for legal steps as a necessary one.

For starters, has anyone made a back-up of the GP website, for future reference? Also, we could expect GP to close down this forum at any time, perhaps even more so when they start to see things that they don't like here.

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 02:13:21 AM »
Hi Erik,

I don't know if you have already read the official press release but you can find some answers inside.
This information was also reported in the "General Discussion" forum.

PRESS RELEASE

Geeksphone leaves in the hands of its Users' Community the development of their Multi OS platform.

- After having developed six smartphones in less than six years, the company has reached the end of a cycle.

- Our Customer Technical Support Service will continue to operate as usual.

-Geeksphone, jointly with some of its partners has created  geeks!me, a new brand focused on the development of wearables.

Madrid, 20 June 2015.- It's been almost six years since Rodrigo Silva-Ramos and Javier Agüera founded Geeksphone in 2009.

During all these years, Geeksphone has been the first Spanish company to develop a smartphone, the first European company to launch an Android based phone, the first global brand to launch a Firefox OS mobile device together with Telefónica and the Mozilla Foundation, besides being the first global project in the mobile environment to have believed in the free code, encouraging it as its core philosophy.

In addition, the Company embarked in 2013, on a joint venture with Silent Circle in order to create Blackphone, a project that has leadered security and privacy issues and which has garnered many successes and awards, and has even been exhibited in several museums around the world.

"When we started the Geeksphone project, we never imagined that we would develop six smartphones in just five years," says Rodrigo Silva-Ramos, Geeksphone's Co-Founder. "We are very grateful and proud of having achieved so many professional and personal success and, above all, we are extremely proud to have received great recognition from both the Industry and the users"

Geeksphone has sold several thousand terminals, has reached business figures of great importance in relation to the environment of European technology startups, and has facilitated independent investment in other projects undertaken by Geeksphone's founding partners.

Now the time has come for a new cycle. The reality of the company today is very different from what it was in the beginning, since the concept of innovation based on a passionate geek community, talented and creative, has now much less sense and it is a differentiation, which currently generates little interest in the mobile environment. in relation to the 2009 date of our creation.

"Mobile telephony has changed a lot in recent years," comments Rodrigo Silva-Ramos. "Our perception is that it is now a sector with great actors who have come to be where they are without much concern for innovation and without being concerned by the needs of its users."

Geeksphone has always worked for its users, trying to listen to their needs, in order to bring innovation, freshness, quality, style and to differentiate their mobile devices.

However these arguments have currently few followers in the mobile phone industry environment, and it is very difficult for a company to maintain its viability and business with this philosophy. Therefore, and for the moment, Geeksphone will not undertake new projects and future development will be in the hands of users.

Geeksphone has made available to the entire community of users all the tools that we are legally able to spread, for further development, since the company also has licensing agreements with third parties who may not be made public.

"This Company has always complied, and will continue, with the law regarding the rights and property of our partners. But we have always tried to find the best balance concerning the values of open source and community development," says Rodrigo Silva-Ramos, Co-Founder of Geeksphone. "In short, everything that belongs to Geeksphone belongs to its users."

In compliance with the commitments made to users in terms of warranty and support, Geeksphone's Customer Technical Support Service will be maintained and it will operate in the same way it has done so far.

Moreover, all the engineering talent has passed to Silent Circle's Blackphone, in order to continue opening new avenues for innovation along with Ana Gay-Puente and Javier Agüera, who are also Geeksphone partners.

María Alzola, also Geeksphone member and Co-Founder, leaves the company.

Finaly, Rodrigo Silva-Ramos and Angel Sánchez Díaz have created geeks!me, a new brand focused on the development of wearables and it will launch its first product in the upcoming months. It will be an activity bracelet that will allow users to carry a healthier pace of life, in harmony with the environment.

About Geeksphone

The Spanish Company Geeksphone is dedicated, since its creation in 2009, to the design and manufacturing of last generation smartphones. It was the first European Company to develop a smartphone based on Android operating system, and the first manufacturer worldwide that launched terminals with Firefox OS for developers. Last year, Geeksphone joined Silent Circle in order to develop the Blackphone project, a new dimension in the use of mobile phones, becoming the first smartphone based on the privacy and security of users.
Geeksphone is an established brand where sharing, creating trends and technological innovation represent its core values, returning the voice to its users and encouraging their proximity to the brand.

pr@geeksphone.com

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 02:45:29 AM »
@ gon_le_terrible: I' ve seen this statement yesterday for the first time  ::)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 05:58:53 AM »
Hi together  :)

Very nice to see, that nearlly 60 people took part of the poll yet and about 11 want to help to improve the situation as developers  8)

Also a THUMBS UP for all the people who want to support us in testing build(s) and reporting bugs  :)

As I mentioned in the German blog of Soeren Hentzschel (Mozilla Representative and developer), from the beginning it is important for me to keep everybody about everything informed. We, the community, decide together about how we go on and keep the testers / users about future plans informed - let's make it better ;)

https://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/mozilla/firefox-os/2015/07/09/geeksphone-zieht-sich-aus-dem-smartphone-geschaeft-zurueck/

Maybe we should set up a community github or a c9.io with the various (as many as feasible) platform codebases + releases to develop towards their best state on this device? if enough (3) people express interest, I'd be happy to host whatever server stuff is required. (tiki.org, git, build-server, irc, whatever)

That is a very good point, n17r4m! I also thought about a (temporary = weekly) IRC Channel for discussing problems, milestones & plans BETWEEN THE DEVELOPERS could be useful. After that "meeting" we could share the discussed topics with the community inside this thread. Let me explain, why only for developers:

1. We have this forum here which fits perfectly for users who have problems. They can insert screenshots, logs and links - I think that's enough.
2. Nobody can guarantee that there always will be somebody inside the IRC channel to response to the questions.

Build-server (hosting?) is also a nice idea. If we are able to implement a update routine for patching bugs, then we could upload the patches to a filehoster like mediafire.com, which I really can recommend (free, up to 10 GB, time period until delete very high).

Regaring the poll:

As you see (at the moment!) most of the users are interested in further Firefox OS versions, so I hope that most of the developers also want to support the community in Firefox OS  :)

As there is nearlly no one with experience in Firefox OS development, we really should try to build our own version of Firefox OS 2.0 from the resources GP's engineers gave us. For me it is not that easy at the moment. Temporary I have much things to do, so I maybe will be able to start that project in the first weeks of August  :-\

New versions of Cyanogen Mod / Android won't be possible if Geeksphone does not give us the necessary tools to encrypt boot.img (according to user "coldnew" who tries to hack it)  :o

I also informed about Ubuntu Touch, which also sounded very interesting as I use (X)ubuntu as desktop os.

On the following website they tell about "reference hardware" on which Ubuntu Touch should run fine:

https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/porting-new-device/

Ubuntu for devices runs on a variety of mobile devices, such as the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 2013 (reference hardware) or the bq Aquaris (commercial phone). Due to Ubuntu’s Open Source nature and architecture, it is possible and encouraged to enable other devices to run the mobile OS.

When you check the hardware specs (Wikipedia) of Nexus 4 (2012) and Nexus 7 (2013), you'll see that GP's Revolution won't be the best choice with it's 1,6 dualcore and it's 1 GB RAM  :-[

As the Jolla phone with Sailfish OS has nearrly the same hardware specs as the Revolution it sounds to me much more interesting and promising  :)

Regarding the poll - the community has decided :) - Firefox OS is the direction in which we go (first).

Greetings
Bada3.0
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:46:47 AM by Bada3.0 »
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

Offline djra

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
Hello,

I don't have much time, and I don't have experience in Firefox OS development, but I am willing to help with development.

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
Hi @Bada,

Do you know if we can directly ask to Intel (because it seems that unfortunately, Geeksphone won't do it) if they can release to us the binaries or unlocked boot.img or any tools which are currently under NDA to maintain ourselves the Revolution ?

Or if you can ask through Mozilla to have any support in this issue ? With their relationship for example...

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »
@ gon_le_terrible: Nice idea, but don't forget that GP is still selling the Revolution so there is still a contract between both parties which will make it impossible for us.

Even if the Revolution is two years out of warranty and there is no more contract between GP and Intel, they wouldn't care about us. I mean what do you think how many units of Revolution were sold? 1 million? 500.000? No  ;)

I THINK that is realistic to talk about 7.000-8.000 sold units. So, in my opinion, our community is too small to be important enough for Intel. Why should they give us the specific drivers for free? We are too small and the Revolution is too unknown, so there's no economical profit for Intel like that we could promote their hardware by porting several OSes ("Ubuntu Touch, Android, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS in one phone? Wow, I want this device! Sh*t up and take my money!!!") to the Revolution...
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Offline kowalski

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »
Nice initiative, Bada! Thanks! I'm using the Revolution as a second phone and could to some alpha/beta testing. The vote for FFOS is pretty obvious. Yet, i agree to your points on Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish in terms of possible (and feasible) alternatives. Hope, there will be news on the bootlader issue soon - seems to be the main obstacle at hand.

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 01:20:00 AM »
@Bada,

You're right about the size of the community and the fact there is no direct profit to Intel.

But my thoughts was more to ask Intel a favor as they are involved in the open source and because the Z2560 chipset begin to be old and was never the flag ship chipset of Intel.

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 03:31:24 AM »
Well you can try if you want.

You really could start a petition, but don't think that there will be more (> 60) votes / signatures than are here in this thread  :(

Keep us informed  :)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II