Author Topic: ABI HardFP support  (Read 2345 times)

Offline _AtilA_

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
ABI HardFP support
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Hi,
One of the things being investigated right now in FirefoxOS is performance boosting of the overall system. And one of the threads of investigation is about bringing Hard floating-point (hardfp) ABI support for all binaries [1]. I've already built a toolchain that fully supports this ABI and I could even compile all Gonk/Gecko available sources to support hardfp, but the main problem is that we need that all prebuilt libraries on the system were being compiled with hardfp ABI, cause it's not compatible with SoftFP ABI (the standard right now), so we need the support of the vendors in order to achieve this goal :)
I was thinking in one of these options:
* If the source code of your libraries is Open Source and accesible, I can compile it by myself using the toolchain mentioned above.
* It they are not, I can provide you detailed instructions on how to compile them with hardfp support using this toolchain.

Right now I can only test on my Peak, but I'm pretty sure that somebody would like to tests things on her/his Keon too.
We believe that the increase in performance could be between 20% to 40%!! and  we would really like to see Geeksphone to be the first in show it!

Kind Regards,

Juan Gómez
(#b2g _AtilA_)

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=845086

Offline c.martinez.lozano

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • View Profile
Re: ABI HardFP support
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »
Hi,
One of the things being investigated right now in FirefoxOS is performance boosting of the overall system. And one of the threads of investigation is about bringing Hard floating-point (hardfp) ABI support for all binaries [1]. I've already built a toolchain that fully supports this ABI and I could even compile all Gonk/Gecko available sources to support hardfp, but the main problem is that we need that all prebuilt libraries on the system were being compiled with hardfp ABI, cause it's not compatible with SoftFP ABI (the standard right now), so we need the support of the vendors in order to achieve this goal :)
I was thinking in one of these options:
* If the source code of your libraries is Open Source and accesible, I can compile it by myself using the toolchain mentioned above.
* It they are not, I can provide you detailed instructions on how to compile them with hardfp support using this toolchain.

Right now I can only test on my Peak, but I'm pretty sure that somebody would like to tests things on her/his Keon too.
We believe that the increase in performance could be between 20% to 40%!! and  we would really like to see Geeksphone to be the first in show it!

Kind Regards,

Juan Gómez
(#b2g _AtilA_)

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=845086

Hi Juan,

We have not all the sources, only QC have all the sources. For example, our factory has 90-95%(not have for example adreno sources) of the sources.
Propietary sources are a problem for all, for example on adreno for Firefox OS we have ideas to improve the performance, but we can't have it. Really we can, but it's a very complicated process that can not have results on months (not a viable option for us).
As you can see not all the sources are open and we can't share it with you and compile it with hardfp. We have a part of the propietary sources (More for keon than peak) that we can compile with hardfp but because licenses and NDA's/SLA's, we can't share these sources.

If you like, you can communicate with me using skype or talk (send me a pm to it) to see how can we do or if exists an intermediate option like support softfp when not hardfp is implemented.

Regards.

Offline DDevine

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • DDEVnet.net
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »
What about using the Freedreno open source driver?
My understanding is that it already works really well.

http://freedreno.github.io/

Offline c.martinez.lozano

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:35 AM »
What about using the Freedreno open source driver?
My understanding is that it already works really well.

http://freedreno.github.io/

Adreno is not the only closed project. To compile with hardfp is mandatory that ALL the libs and binaries can be compiled, and exist libs and binaries closed from QCOM.

Regards.

Offline DDevine

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • DDEVnet.net
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:17:57 AM »
What other drivers do we need that are closed source?
(Excluding the firmware blobs, as these binaries are not the problem.)