Author Topic: Firefox OS 2.2  (Read 10181 times)

Offline cram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox OS 2.2
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
Let's focus first on the Firefox OS 2.2 port for Geeksphone Revolution

I'm not sure to understand correctly. It's mean you or someone else is working on FxOS 2.2 port for revolution ?

If it's right, it's for me, the best news of the week :)

I imagine that is a community port. Is there somewhere a site, a mailing list, or everything else to follow that ?

Thanks a lot

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »
Unfortunately there is nothing yet...

In fact I really have to look over how the whole process works - I have no real idea because I never made that :o

Also I have to say that I won't be able to start working on that in this week, maybe next week.

It's a wish to make own images of further Firefox OS versions (like FFOS 2.2) for Geeksphone Revolution, but - as I said in a different thread - I can't promise anything on this :-X

We surely will need the help of the GP Firefox OS developers. I'm pretty sure that they will support us :)
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline Neuromancer2013

• Thank You
  • Where is Wintermute?
    • View Profile
Looking glass
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
No sorry, all FxOs development are finished by Geeksphone.

Thanks..... ;)

I can't believe, what I just read from Rodrigo.
Was it a bad joke?

Some indications pro joke:
1. As often stated by Geeksphone employers themselves, this forum is not the official platform for support statements to customers.
2. I never got an email from Geeksphone support stating the end-of-life of Revolution.
3. The official website wasn't changed, they still advertise Revolution.

Some indications pro truth:
1. As we all knew from history, Geeksphone often lacks in early enough informations ...
2. The buy out of the BlackPhone hardware development by Silent Circle this year springtime (but still mentioned on Geeks homepages )...
3. No activities from known developers Jesus (since March) or Louis (since February), maybe they aren't anymore employed at GP ...
4. Geeksphone promised us to fix bugs, but there are too much unsolved ...
5. Geeksphone promised us to give community missing parts of source code, but we are still waiting ...
6. New product interests like "GeeksMe" (see http://www.geeksme.com/en/ ), surprisingly only compatible with IOS and Android devices but not with FireFox OS ones!

A. What can we do?
B. What have we to do?
C. Do we have an official statement? Without winking? From Rodrigo Silva-Ramos? Anyone of the customers in this forum?
D. What is the business plan of the company? Selling the rest of Revolutions and then looking forward with personal assistance devices like GeeksMe?
E. Will we ever get the missing source code parts?
F. Is there enough interest in getting better support?
G. How many devices were sold?
H. How long will we be able to use the Revolution, PEAK or KEON?
I. Are we able to pay developers or can we really do the jobs ourselves or with assistance of ...?
J. Where can we get spare parts like batteries, displays or cases? From Geeksphone? Do they really have those parts?
K. Should we bundle interests with KEON and PEAK users?
L. Are there enough enthusiasts with skills who are able to invest time and energy?
M. Should we save the contents of this forum?
N. Will we get more detailed documents from GP's developers to establish our efforts? Actual Github documents are not enough ...

I know a lot of questions but I'm interested to keep Revolution still alive ...

Neuromancer

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
Hi Neuromancer2013,

great to hear that you are still interested in the Geeksphone Revolution. Let me try to answer your questions:

3. I really hope that they are still employes at Geeksphone. I had the last discussion with Jesus on 24th of March.

A. User "coldnew" tries to hack the "boot.img" - more information about the progress can be found here: http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=0de394baa6c31ba793b572821ce982c1&topic=6508.0

B. We have to find as many advanced developers and porters as possible and have to decide on which OS we will work on. IN MY OPINION, most of the people are interested in Firefox OS 2.2+ and Sailfish OS 2.0.
We could make a poll to find out in which of the OS the remaining customers are interested in most, but that's something we can focus on later...

C. NO, there's no official statement (by email) yet about discontinuing the whole GP Revolution software development (Firefox OS AND Android / CM11). There's only this short post of Rodrigo about the FFOS development, which is for me the most disappointing fact  :'(

D. I wrote this morning a PM to Luis and Jesus and asked about GP's future plans - don't know if they are allowed to talk about this yet...

E. Before the release of the Firefox OS 2.0 update I was in contact with Jesus and he told me that it is not possible to release the whole source code. He wrote:
"The update will be launched but the open source platform will be released some time after that, because the update is build against Intel source code, and I'm adapting the process to work (using prebuilts when we should need Intel private source code) with CyanogenMod and Mozilla sources only"

I hope that Jesus won't damn me for publishing this, but I supported him by testing the first alpha builds of Firefox OS 2.0 on my Revolution... I think I was the only one and I tried to report as many bugs I could find since October 2014 so that everybody will be as satisfied as I was. Jesus was very very cooperative and fast in eliminating them ALL before the official release in March (?) 2015. During that time I saw that it is very hard to make all the components (camera, flash, GPS, telephone modem...) work correctly and that it took several builds to come to a reliable image.
We should keep that in mind, if - one day - we will be able to build further Firefox OS versions (2.2+) by ourselves.
@Jesus: Sorry for publishing that, but I promise that until today I NEVER EVER told anybody about that. I really felt that it is now "OK" to let all the others know about that, as the official release of Firefox OS 2.0 was several months ago. I hope that you don't count this as a "breach of trust". You are a good developer and you invested so much time and passion into this project, so that everybody should be able to give you credit for that. Even so, I also hope that you will still support us by answering our questions  :)

What I really want to say to all of you customers is, that please don't blame GP's developers for decisions that Rodrigo and / or the management made. They (the devs) did and do everything to make us satisfied with the product  :)

F. As mentioned we could find an answers for that by making a poll

G. Sorry, no idea. I think that we can count on 20.000 sold devices - correct me if this sounds unrealistic.
    @Rodrigo: Maybe you could give us that information?

H. As the hardware specs can be compared to those of the Jolla phone, I have the impression that this phone could be still interesting for us (interested Geeks, web developers) until 2017, if the hardware works that long - but that's just my personal supposition  :)
By the way, support for Keon and Peak ended in the last 2 months and there was a statement in the forum from Rodrigo.

I. Paying the developers? I think that is not possible  :D Imagine that this would only work by donations of the customers and this is unrealistic as most of the customers here are fed up with GP's methods - ALTHOUGH the 3 or 4 developers (Jesus, Luis,...) are NOT able to help it. It's their bosses who do the business policies and who decide how it goes on
Keep in mind, that if they really "work" for us, they would come in a competitive situation (!!!) with Geeksphone  :o

J. I think that batteries could be found on ebay - not the GP official ones, but some others. I also think that the battery of Blackphone 1 could be the same one as Revolution's (the devices look so similar). As I don't own a Blackphone this is also just a supposition!
@Rodrigo: Maybe you could also tell us about that?

K. Hmm, I think that the hardware is too different to the one that is plugged in the Revolution

L. At this point I want to quote on one of JOURNEY's songs: "DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' ..."  ;D

M. We really should do that. We should search for a platform where we could store documentations and how to's online where everybody could access and work on it.

N. I handle this question to Geeksphone and all the developers ;)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:45:31 PM by Bada3.0 »
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »
Dear community,

derived from safe source, I unfortunately have to tell you that Jesus & Luis are no more members of the Geeksphone staff  :'(
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Offline jwab

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 06:45:08 AM »
Dear Community

I think it's quite clear Geeksphone is not interested and not been for some time in delivering what they sold us. It is now up to us to make it clear to the directors of the company that they have obligations under Spanish and EU consumer law to uphold otherwise unless they go bankrupt we are entitle to a refund on the product.

There are a number of conditions that warrent this. Revolution has never been a fully working product. All of the OS releases are considered unstable. Android 4.2.2 was and is buggy as hell. FxOS 1.3 is buggy as hell, CM11 is buggy as hell, Fx 2.0 is buggy as hell.

This phone is not fit for sale. They are lying to the consumer with their statments posted on the webpage.

Starting with Google® Android™ operating system, you can seamlessly switch to Boot2Gecko by Mozilla, or any other community-supported flavor of an OS. You choose, and we will keep you updated thanks to our 1-click OTA system.

This statment above is total bullshit. There is no seemless switching, and there is very little keeping us updated by a 1-click OTA system.

Geeksphone are flagerantly breaking every consumer advertising law there is aside from they actulaly do have a peice of crap in white box with the name Revolution on it they can sell you.

Sorry, Bada3.0's honorable efforts in keeping a community going so we can make somthing of our sorry situation isn't enough. We must all band together with one voice and a big fat consumer court order demanding our money back or go bankrupt.

Who's game?

Offline jambolo

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 12:44:43 AM »

Thanks..... ;)
But the company is still in business or in bankruptcy ?

otherwise as they asked others, why give up the development of a device, where the majority of customers have chosen it, because there was Firefox OS
sorry for English
--
Many people would like to see FirefoxOS 2.2 on GP Revolution, but sadly GP won't deliver it, so it's up to US to update FirefoxOS. Do you have programming knowledge and would like to help us? Check this thread or PM me!

Offline gon_le_terrible

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
I've just created an account to say how angry I am about the end of development of Firefox OS on Geeksphone Revolution !  >:(

And additionally I am really upset to see that it is impossible for the community to maintain by itself the development of Firefox OS with a boot.img unmodifiable  >:(

Like many other I have just bought (4 months ago) the Geeksphone Revolution to use it under Firefox OS 2.x !

cyberpelotilla

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 03:39:24 AM »
We should make a class action suit in the EU for not respecting licenses ....

Offline Luca F.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 04:32:03 AM »
We should make a class action suit in the EU for not respecting licenses ....

The best thing we can do is not buying anything from them again, and make other people aware of our experience on forums, post comments , etc.

They are still selling their "Smartphone"...

Offline jambolo

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 07:29:46 AM »

Thanks..... ;)
The easiest way to lose credibility and customer base.
Do you think that someone of the customers who until now have bought one of your devices, with a news of this,  buy a new one.

Bad Idea
Bad Announcement
Bad Management

wake me if it is a dream  :o
sorry for English
--
Many people would like to see FirefoxOS 2.2 on GP Revolution, but sadly GP won't deliver it, so it's up to US to update FirefoxOS. Do you have programming knowledge and would like to help us? Check this thread or PM me!

Offline aoikeiichi

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
Truly sad, speechless at the moment, couldn't find sleep but looks like the bad day is clearly not over yet..

Still interested to bring this device the revolution it deserved and I'll take some time this summer to dig this but I need to finish some stuff yet.

Guess we're on our own from now, any irc channel, mailing list, wiki, git fork, subreddit (looks like sad things happened there as well)?

Offline spring

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 04:15:26 AM »

Really: I only bought this phone, because I have been looking for this OS.
And whould it not have been a good idea communicating this, with some reasoning, so we can understand ( and accept)?

Offline uk169

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
Oh man I considered different options and decided on Geekshone and Forefox OS is really cool. However these news devastated me  :'( I don't want to switch back to Android.