Author Topic: I'd buy the battery of a broken or unused Peak  (Read 1989 times)

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
I'd buy the battery of a broken or unused Peak
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »
If you have a broken Peak, or simply don't use it any more, I might be interested in buying your battery.

I don't need the battery to be brand new : a "not too weak" one would be enough :-)
As Geeksphone does not sell any more batteries, and does not know where to buy any compatible one, it's the best solution I found to keep using my Peak...

NB : I live in France and would pay for shipping too (if it's not too far/expensive)

Offline joseignaciofff

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • View Profile
Re: I'd buy the battery of a broken or unused Peak
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:43:09 AM »
http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6188.0

Cita de: noreiller en Octubre 18, 2014, 02:29:56 am

Hi, I had the same problems (reboots and battery drains). I contacted the support to have more informations. They told me teh battery was the real problem, and I can confirm that since it inflated and I couldn't close the back of the phone.
    So, they sent me to an online shop to buy a compatible battery (haier w820): http://es.aliexpress.com/item/Haier-w820-battery-haier-h11255-original-mobile-phone-battery-electroplax/1144780507.html

I received it a week ago (I bought it one month ago), and now, all the problems are solved.

Offline nasroby

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:56:17 AM »
Bonjour !

Je peux te filer la mienne en espérant qu'elle marche... Mon écran LCD est mort mais d'après mes derniers tests la batterie était fonctionnelle.

Dis-moi si ça t'intéresse...

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
@nasroby : oui, ça m'intéresse vraiment! Je t'envoie un message privé pour en discuter

@joseignaciofff : thanks for the links.
I would probably buy a battery from them if I was sure it was compatible.
Unofrtunately, some recent feedback seems less positive on the compatibility :

Here is what I asked to the customer support from Geeksphone :
Regarding the compatible battery, are you talking about one of the
following ones?
http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Special-Haier-w820-battery-haier-h11255-original-mobile-phone-battery-electroplax/1145724956.html
http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Origial-Haier-H11255-Battery-Bateria-For-Haier-W820-Battery-1-x-Universal-battery-Charger/32227823635.html
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/haier-w820-mobile-phone-battery-haier-w820/178020271.html#se1-0-1b|3768762731

Could you please advise on which one to choose, in order to avoid the
incompatible batteries you mentioned? (the 3 above seem visually the same).
And their answer was :
The problem is that we have bought from both and they seem to have changed some parameters on the batteries, rendering them useless with our phones (they have changed the location of one of the charging pins to the next).

I’m afraid that we cannot advice on any of them right now.

There are also mixed feedbacks in http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6159.0

Offline bstecklu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »
Please observe, in case you want to use the following information, you do it on your own risk. Batteries have a high energy density, and may explode when not handled properly. So cover the + pin with some adhesive strip at the beginning, and remove it only when the modification is finished to avoid shortening the battery!

By measuring the voltages as well as the Ohmic resistance across all combinations of pins, the pin assignment of my Haier battery was found as the following (top view onto battery, from - to +, i.e. left to right)

1. sensor1
2. - ground
3. sensor2
4. + voltage

So to make the battery work, pins 1 and 2 need to be exchanged. My first attempt using soldering was aborted as it turned out that my equipment is not appropriate. A much more easy way is to cut a metal foil wide enough to cover both contacts 1 and 2. Put it onto and fix it on either side of the battery using glue strip. So pin1 will by grounded but this does not seem to be a problem. The force onto the contacts after inserting the battery into the phone is enough to provide proper flow of current. In the end, I was able to exchange the pins by using two thin (~2mm) metal foil strips and glue strip to avoid contact at the crossing points. The good news is the battery was recognized and charging on USB. However, it turned out that my piece is actually crap since it has very low capacity (much less than the original battery). So while the problem seems to be solved in principle, it is of no use to me. Perhaps you are more lucky.

Offline mossroy

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
Thanks a lot bstecklu for sharing this.

For now, I'm a using the battery that nasroby was mentioning. Thanks to him my Peak is still alive.
(not sure that this battery will last a long time, though)

Offline helmar

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:16:47 AM »
Also my Peak battery finaly quit its job. Since the phone is less than 2 years old i tried to get a new one from Geeksphone, but (quote) "Unfortunately, although the phone is still under warranty, the battery is not anymore, since all accesories have a limited warranty of six months.".

Not wanting to give up my Peak i tried to repair the battery itself by replacing the Li-Po cell inside it. I removed the black foil and the metal plates on the flat sides of the battery, then i removed the cell with a cutter. What remains is a thin black frame and a small circuit behind the battery contacts containing some electronic components.

The target solution would be to insert a new Li-Po cell into the frame. I suppose the cells from Renata should work: http://www.renata.com/industrial-products/lithium-ion-polymer/. You can buy them e.g. from http://www.conrad.de/ .

Currently I am operating my Peak with a Li-Po battery from an old Nokia phone (not only the cell but the complete battery) connected to the circuit of the original Peak battery (only V+ and V-, not the other two pins of the battery). This battery does not fit into the case of the Peak, but the phone works as expected; it powers on and charges. Since also this battery is near its end of life the phone only runs about half an hour on battery, but i suppose with a new cell it should work much longer.

I also tried to connect a capacitor (0,22 F) to the charging circuit of the Peak battery. You can power on the phone with that when connected to the USB charger, but the phone switches off after a few seconds; maybe with a bigger capacitor it is possible to operate the phone connected to USB power.

To operate a phone only via USB power also a "fastboot factory cable" may work. As far as i understood this is an USB cable with the OTG ID pin connected to V+, but i did not try that out.

Finally the obligatory security advice: Lithium batteries may overheat, burn and explode when handled improperly. So if you want to fiddle around by yourself: Never short the Li-Po cell and always keep an eye on it when it is connected to a power source.

Maybe someone is willing to sell me his old Peak or Keon, so i could play around a little more. I need the phone including the battery, even when the battery is not working any more. If you are interested please send me a mail to helmar(a)gerloni.net .

Regards,    Helmar.