Author Topic: Can't connect to mobile network  (Read 1579 times)

Offline shioyama

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
    • dejimata
Can't connect to mobile network
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:27:28 AM »
I got a gp revolution a few months ago and first encountered an issue with the microphone (see: http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6400.0), sent it back and go that fixed, at which point the phone basically worked for what I needed (wifi only).

Now recently I've tried using a sim with it and finding that here in Japan anyway, it won't connect to my mobile carrier (NTT Docomo). I'm running CM11 now but had the same issue earlier with Android. Only once I could get it to connect and make a call, briefly, but then it would disconnect and fail to find the network again.

I have another phone running firefox os (open zte) and it can make calls fine with the same sim, so I suspect it's another hardware issue with the phone. Has anybody had network issues like this anywhere? Is anyone using a gp in Japan?

I really don't want to give up on this phone but if I can't get the sim working I'll have to switch... any help would be really appreciated. (In the meantime I'll try to find other sims to test on here.)

Offline coldnew

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Can't connect to mobile network
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:55:51 AM »
Have you try the firefox os 2.0 image, it contains some firmware, maybe it can fix your problem. Flash the firefox os image and flash back to cm11, if you prefer later.

But honestly if you can give back this phone, I suggest you do. It's seems like geeksphone doesn't support any futher development on the revolutoin, well, it's really a revolution, no manufature does like this :(

I'm trying to figure how to flash an entirely image build my self, but since this device's boot.img is signed, the community can't do further to improve this device actually.

For more info, please see here: http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6446.0

Offline shioyama

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • dejimata
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:33:19 AM »
Thanks coldnew, if flashing the firefox os 2.0 image could possibly fix it I'd be happy to do that. If I could get some indication from gp of what the issue might be that would help. Or at least just know if anyone is using a gp revolution in Japan.

I actually like the revolution, if I could just get this to work it would be fine for me. I've heard that it's not quite as simple switching back to cm11/android after switching to firefox os on revolution, so before I do that I want to have some indication from gp that this is indeed a firmware issue.

Offline Khemato

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
Everyone will have different abilities.

Offline shioyama

• Thank You
    • View Profile
    • dejimata
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
So this seems to be a hardware issue, which geeksphone says they will look at but I have to pay to send it to them...

I bought this phone 6 months ago and first there was a microphone issue (http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6400.0) which appears not to have been isolated, they had me send it to them and fixed it (at their expense). But I never used it with a sim because it was not my main phone. Recently I decided to switch to it and found that something is wrong and it will not connect to any networks (described in this post). Now they indicate that this is a hardware issue but want me to pay to send it.

This does not seem reasonable to me. The phone was shipped with two basic defects, yet they are asking me to send it back to them. If they hadn't shipped a defective product this would never have been necessary.

However I'm in Japan, not Spain so my options are limited, and I hate the idea of abandoning an otherwise perfectly good phone. I also like the geeksphone and really want to keep using it.

I am really disappointed in this company. Anybody have any advice? (Support: if you're listening I'd really appreciate it if you would at least reply to my emails.)