Author Topic: Ubuntu Touch and Firefox OS 2.2  (Read 1346 times)

Offline r00st3r3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
    • Xubuntu Forums
Ubuntu Touch and Firefox OS 2.2
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »
Does anyone know if someone has built Ubuntu Touch or Firefox OS 2.2 for this device? I understand that Geeksphone will not be porting anything else to the Revolution. So I was wondering if anyone else has.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Bada3.0

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • FREIHEIT!
    • View Profile
    • FIREFOXER
Re: Ubuntu Touch and Firefox OS 2.2
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »
Hello,

please follow the threads "Firefox OS 2.2" and "boot.img signed?" in the forum! There you'll see that user coldnew tries to hack the boot.img to open up the development for further OSes like newer versions of Firefox OS.

The fact is that the old developers of Firefox OS Luis and Jesus  left the company, so the work has to be done by the cimmunity which is not that easy. As the source code (also drivers) is not open (Intel does not give the necessary tools to build own OSes) we, the community, are really f**ked up. That has nothing to do with Geeksphone. They had to sign contracts which say that they won't publish the necessary files and tools to everyone.

I'm also interested in porting Firefox Os 2.2 to Revolution but it's nearrly impossible without any open source code. The situation is that we have some guys of the community that WANT to do the work but CAN'T. Either intel changes their opinion (which is very very unrealistic) or the community tries to get the necessary files by ilegally hacking the encrypted boot.img file which is also very hard to success.

As you see the situation is not the best.

As I said, follow the mentioned threads and you'll see IF and HOW we go on.

Thank you for your interest!

Greetings
Geeksphone Revolution
ZTE Open C (FFOS 2.2)
Samsung Wave II

Havin' problems with connecting your GP Revolution with ADB or want to add some features or some improvements? Try my little scripting project "FIREFOXER" and tell me your opinion :-)

--> http://forum.geeksphone.com/index.php?topic=6063.0

Offline coldnew

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu Touch and Firefox OS 2.2
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:25:56 PM »
Currently status is that:

1. the boot.img is signed by RSA algorithm

So it is IMPOSSIBLE to build our own boot.img and flash on it, thus ubuntu touch is IMPOSSIBLE since it need to enable the lxc config in kernel and also need to use ramdisk provide by Canonical.

NOTE: flash the boot.img without signed will boot into recovery mode

2. the kernel in SIGNED boot.img enable KEXEC config

And this is our hope for switch to another kernel, I am still working on this.

3. Firefox OS 2.2 is POSSIBLE

AFAKI firefox os doesn't need to rebuild the ramdisk, so it's possible to use SIGNED boot.img provide by geeksphone with  system.img building by community.

4. CM12 or AOSP 5.x is IMPOSSIBLE

The reason is the same as condition 1, android or cm need to change the ramdisk when you switch different version. This will become possible after condition 2 is DONE.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:32:15 PM by coldnew »