Author Topic: Incompatible SIM-card?  (Read 4304 times)

Offline rune

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Incompatible SIM-card?
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:25:01 AM »
I've changed to a different phone company, but my Zero won't work with the new company.  I type the PIN-code, and it accepts that, but then it just says "incompatible handset", and won't let me use the mobile net.

The Zero did work with the old company.  Also, I've put the SIM from the new company into an old Sony Ericsson phone, and it works fine in that phone.

It seems to me that the new SIM is somehow incompatible with the Zero.  The new phone company does have one unusual policy: they don't accept customers with 2G phones, only 3G phones allowed.  Could it be that this policy is coded into the SIM, and that this code confuses the Zero?

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Incompatible SIM-card?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »
I forgot to write that I'm using the stock rom.

Also, could it be that the Zero locks itself to the first SIM that is inserted?  Has anyone else tried changing to a different phone company?

Offline Javier (gp)

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 03:35:34 AM »
Hi Rune,

The Zero won't lock itself to the first SIM. It's your company's policy.

Please give it a try with CyanogenMod 7 and see if it tricks your company, but basically I think your company does not allow to use unlocked phones unless they have been specifically homologated to their network ;)

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
The Zero won't lock itself to the first SIM. It's your company's policy.

Please give it a try with CyanogenMod 7 and see if it tricks your company, but basically I think your company does not allow to use unlocked phones unless they have been specifically homologated to their network ;)
Hi Javier

Thanks for your reply, but I'm quite certain that my phone company's official policy is to allow all 3G phones.  But as a Danish company, they may not have any other Geeksphone customers, so they may have accidentally coded their SIM-card in a way that the phone doesn't understand.

I don't have an SD-card at the moment -- the one I have ordered is delayed.  And as far as I can tell, I cannot change to CyanogenMod without an SD-card in the phone.

Offline Javier (gp)

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »
Well, the Zero is prepared to accept any SIM card that is compliant with the standards... it's surely their network which is blocking the Zero (probably they see it's an "unknown" device for them and thus they block it).
Have you tried to contact your operator customer service?

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:24:12 AM »
I've tried running the phone in airplane mode, and it still reports "incompatible handset".  From that I conclude that the problem is between the SIM-card and the phone -- that it is not the phone company's network that is uncooperative.

I've gotten the following reply from the phone company (my translation):
Without speaking for our SIM-card supplier, I'll have to deny that there is any block on the SIM-card. It is more probable that their phone doesn't read the encryption on our quite plain 3G SIM-card.  The phone is probably 3G-compatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it uses the same frequencies as we primarily use here in Scandinavia.  If the phone for example only supports HSDPA 850 or HSDPA 900 on the UMTS-side, then that is already a problem.

Something indicates that the phone is far from completely developed, and lacks the norms and standards that phones in the greater part of EU and Scandinavia have, and that it therefore cannot read the SIM-card.  My guess is that it would have the same problem with a SIM-card from e.g. 3, which is also a 3G-operator.

Our supplier of SIM-cards supplies cards to many operators in all of Scandinavia, so they have most definitely not made their own standard; it is regrettably more likely that the manufacturer of the phone hasn't included all standards.  We have naturally no interest in excluding any mobiles from using our SIM-card, as that would mean saying no to some customers.  I would like to review the case with our support leaders and technicians to see if anything at all can be done at our end.

I fear that the only remaining option is to try CyanogenMod when my SD-card does eventually arrive.

For the time being, I can only advise any other Geeksphone owners in Denmark to stay away from this phone company.  It is called Oister (www.oister.dk), and as it is just a division of 3 (www.3.dk), it is quite likely that 3 has the same problems.

Offline Javier (gp)

• Administrator
  • Top Member
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
Well, from our side the SIM protocol is implemented by Qualcomm and in this sense our device is definitely not underdeveloped  :)

We can try to read a Logcat log from your device to see where the real problem is.

In any case, the frequencies of your operator should be supported by the Zero (850 & 2100 are those available in the Zero)

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
Here is the logcat from a boot.  I don't know what to look for, so it leaves me none the wiser.

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
Oh, there is more than one log.

The radio log may be more helpful (attached).  Perhaps these lines tell something:

D/GSM     (  216): [IccCard] ICC is Perso Locked, substate PERSOSUBSTATE_UNKNOWN
E/GSM     (  216): [IccCard] UnSupported De-Personalization, substate PERSOSUBSTATE_UNKNOWN assuming ICC_NOT_READY

Offline rune

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
I finally got an SD-card today, and installed CyanogenMod (nightly 84) on my phone.

The problem is gone!!!

After installing CyanogenMod, I could immediately use the phone for calls and SMS, and internet worked after setting the correct APN.